StuGov agenda: Election code approval, $1,500 funding request

Student Government senate meetings take place every Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Alex Connor

Student Government will debate a referenda, that if voted yes on, would appear on the ballot this upcoming election.

Currently, Student Government seats 34 to its senate based on Webster’s Method of Apportionment.

This method, in short, divides the constituencies population by the total population and then multiplying by the set number of seats.

“Having a set number of seats does not truly allow for senate to change size within the changing student body,” according to legislation. “Senators are expected to represent upwards of 2,000 students and anymore could hinder senators ability to represent such a large, diverse group of students.”

The question that is proposed to appear on the election ballot is instead requesting to “allocate one senator seat to each constituency for every 2,000 students within that constituency population.”

Additionally, the senate will debate approving the 2018 Election Code. Student Government, according to its bylaws, must approve the election code ahead of the end of first semester.

Outside of internal legislation, the senate will discuss funding requests of $300 for ISU Student Volunteers Services to host an event and $1,500 for Archery Club to purchase equipment.

Laura Wiederholt, president of the Alliance for Disability Awareness, will also be presenting at the meeting.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The senate meetings are open to the public on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.