The scoop on coffee and our health

by Lauren Kline [email protected]
Andrew Richter, senior in agriculture studies.

Lauren Kline

For some students and staff, coffee is a non-negotiable part of their daily routine. However, it’s a non-negotiable part that people may not stop and think about the impact it may have on our health. 

According to a study from the U.S. National Library of Medicine, drinking coffee may lower one’s chance of Parkinson’s Disease. 

According to rush.edu, some of the positive health benefits of drinking coffee include a decreased chance of being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, control symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, slow the progress of dementia, maintain a healthy liver, increase heart health and reduce the risk of melanoma.

Students and staff on campus have their own opinion about why they drink coffee, and what they believe about its benefits to one’s health. 

“I know it gives you a lot of energy, but I don’t know. I don’t drink coffee.” Andrew Richter, senior in agriculture studies.

“I drink 8 cups of coffee a day. I know the health benefits help blood pressure, your heart health, and increases your life span.” Denise Wolf, Parks Library associate.

“I don’t know any health benefits, but I know I need coffee to get through my 8am class.” -Chyenne Cihak, sophomore in animal science. 

“Poop. It helps me with that.” -Isabel Miller, junior in public relations and international studies.

“Coffee helps your bowel movements. I know there’s a myth that says that coffee dehydrates you, but I went to Chile, and they let me know that that was not the case.” -Nia Estes, 2nd year graduate student in higher education of student affairs.

“I have heard that coffee helps you live longer. I think that it might help Alzheimer’s. I see a lot of stuff on TV about health benefits of coffee, but that’s it.” -Nicky Dugan, junior in apparel, merchandising and design. 

“I know it boosts energy. It helps boost your metabolisms too throughout the day. I think it’s good in moderation, not if you drink too much.” -Nor Saadah Shuko, senior in supply chain management.

“Coffee lowers the symptoms of Parkinson’s and Alzheimers when you drink in moderation.” -Ryan Carson, sophomore in economics. 

“I know it’s supposed to increase focus and energy if you drink in moderation. However, I think there’s a lot of research out that’s distorted.” -Rebecca Ray, senior in financial counseling and planning.