Iowa State cross country teams compete at NCAA National Championships

Iowa State distance runners Cailie Logue and Anne Frisbie run side by side during the women’s 6k at the NCAA Cross Country Midwest Regional held at Iowa State on Nov. 10. Logue placed 3rd overall for the women’s division with a time of 20:14. Frisbie placed 9th overall for the women’s division with a time of 20:28. The women’s team placed first overall with a score of 90.

Maggie Davis

The Iowa State men’s and women’s cross country teams competed at the NCAA Cross Country National championships today at E.P. Tom Sawyer Park in Louisville, Kentucky. 

The women’s six-kilometer race began at 9 a.m. The 14th ranked Cyclones finished 20th as a team. 

The winning team on the women’s side was New Mexico State, finishing with four runners in the top 14.  

Junior Anne Frisbie crossed the line first for the Cyclones in 20:15.53, and placing 45th individually. Next was freshman Cailie Logue , finishing 79th overall and second for the Cyclones in 20:33.33.  

Freshman Amanda Vestri, and redshirt junior Evelyne Guay were the third and fourth finishers for the team in 21:10.21 and 21:18.28. Freshman Karly Ackley rounded out the top five finishers for Iowa State in 21:25.80.

On the men’s side, the 13th ranked Cyclones placed seventh as a team in the men’s 10-kilometer race; their best finish at the national championships since they won the title in 1994. 

Sophomore Andrew Jordan was the first finisher for the team, coming in 15th and earning All-American honors with a time of 29:40.65. Next, was sophomore Stanley Langat in 53rd place and a time of 30:14.21.

Redshirt junior Dan Curts, senior Nathan Rodriguez, and sophomore Thomas Pollard rounded out the top five for Iowa State, running 30:24.70, 30:41.13, and 31:41.38 respectively. 

Both the men and women close out a successful 2017 post season run, having captured the men’s and women’s team titles at the Big 12 Championships and NCAA Midwest Regional meets.