Disability Awareness Week kicks off Monday

Elizabeth Meyer, then-sophomore in pre-business, tries walking with a white cane at the demonstration walk at UDCC in October 2016. “Step Into My World” was put on by the Alliance for Disability Awareness Club and the Student Disability Resource Center. The event was part of Disability Awareness Week in 2016.

Danielle Gehr

This week is Disability Awareness Week and Iowa State has events planned to celebrate it. 

From a panel on disability and sexuality to an opportunity to experience navigating Parks Library in a wheelchair, an event will be held each day Tuesday through Friday. 

These events are meant to educate the community on issues related to the experiences of people with disabilities. 

Here are the four events planned for this week. 

“So Like, Can You Do It?”: Disability and Sexuality Panel

On Tuesday, an event is being held for the curious. 

The description of the event says “Ever had questions you’ve wanted to ask, but weren’t sure how? Here is your chance!”

The Alliance for Disability Awareness is hosting a student panel on disability and sexuality Tuesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.

The panel will answer questions on how having sex with a disability is different as well as the effects of having a disability on the development of sexuality and how it identity impacts the relationships. 

Alliance for Disability Awareness Ice Cream Social

Enjoy ice cream and sherbet with the ADA Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. in the lobby of the Student Services Building. 

Disability Summit

Remain Gardens will host a Disability Summit from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm. with former Sen. Tom Harkin giving the keynote address. 

This is an annual event which brings together disability resources providers in Iowa higher education. The day will consist of discussing, educating and collaboration planning for for their work through out the year. 

Harkin was tapped by Sen. Ted Kennedy to draft legislation to protect the rights of American workers with mental or physical disabilities, according to the University of Chicago Institute of Politics. 

Harkin’s late brother, Frank, was deaf from an early age which gave him firsthand knowledge of the challenges people with disabilities face. 

Harkin’s legislation eventually became the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

“The ADA, known as the ‘Emancipation Proclamation for people with disabilities,’ changed the landscape of America by requiring buildings and transportation to be wheelchair accessible, and to provide workplace accommodations for people with disabilities,” the University of Chicago Institute of Politics website said. 

Step Into My World

The Iowa State community will have the opportunity to see what a day at the library is like for someone who uses a wheelchair or a white cane. 

Participants will meet at the Parks Library entrance Friday at 10 a.m. where they will be given a mobility assistance device. The event will end at 12:00 p.m.

Those with questions or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in these events should contact the Student Disability Resources Office at 515-294-7220.