Senate funds $17,000 upgrade for Memorial Union broadcasting equipment

The sun shines on the Memorial Union after a thunderstorm Wednesday afternoon on Nov. 11, 2015. 

Alex Connor

In an effort to improve Student Government live stream video quality, as well as provide more extensive video services for events at the Memorial Union, the senate funded $17,000 to the Memorial Union AV Department to upgrade its broadcasting equipment.

The Memorial Union also put forward $17,000 for the equipment, in which Student Government is funding the video equipment and the AV department will be funding the audio.

The equipment is projected to be available and ready to use by spring 2018.

“[The] intent of the bill is not Student Government. It’s everyone,” Yash Lekhwani, director of new student outreach, said.

Darren Hushak, A.V. services coordinator, said that three cameras will be purchased, as well as the additional equipment to ensure that it runs.

“[During a Student Government meeting] you can have one on the podium and two floating around,” he said. “It’s also for other student organizations to use.”

Hushak said he has been previously approached by student organizations to use live stream capabilities, but — up to this point — has had to tell them no.

Organizations he referenced include Dance Marathon, the Student Union Board and ISU Afterdark.

Questions from senators about the broadcasting equipment included the accessibility of the service, the fee, as well as if three cameras were absolutely needed.

Speaker Zoey Shipley also asked if the need for three cameras as well as how it may work if a two or more student organizations are requesting the equipment at the same time.

Hushak said the cameras would be outsourced at a first come, first serve basis and because Student Government is putting forward funding to the equipment will have priority on Wednesday evenings during its senate meetings.

“On the student organization side,” Hushak said, “events requested are almost exclusively Friday and Saturday event.”

The equipment will also be available for use by organizations such as the Lectures Program, as well as to the general public for a fee.

The profits from the equipment usage, Hushak said, would go back into the Memorial Union budget.

In addition to funding the equipment, Student Government unanimously passed the 2018 election timeline and a bylaw change for capital depreciation.

Sens. Jacob Schrader and Kylee Cox were seated to the rules committee and Alli Weaver was seated as an at-large to the public relations committee.

Editor’s note: Weaver currently serves as a photographer for the Iowa State Daily.