Department of Residence addresses harassment in residence halls

Maddie Leopardo/Iowa State Daily

Friley Placeholder Stock Photo

Ryan Pattee

After threatening statements were found on whiteboards in residence halls, the Department of Residence continues to search for those responsible and said this kind of behavior will not be tolerated at Iowa State.

“These were race-based comments, and they were threatening,” said Peter Englin, director of housing at Iowa State. “These comments are serious enough to be punished by expulsion and suspension.”  

The search started back in September when the initial comments were found written at an unnamed residence hall.

“Three weekends ago, I think it was noticed on a late Saturday night or early Sunday morning,” Englin said. “We found two notes that day and then two days later on a different floor in a different place it was written.”

Englin could not give the specifics of who exactly was targeted or where these statements were made, but said this kind of behavior is unacceptable at Iowa State.

“We want to create a home for people to feel safe and loved in,” Englin said. “We take responsibility in helping these students when they have problems.”  

Englin encountered similar situations back in the 1990s when he first started working at Iowa State.

“Back in the early 1990s, there might be a full-frontal nude of a female outside of a door … a poster in front where we had MLK or Malcolm X that was spit on,” Englin said.

These kinds of situations were solved through communication between the students and surrounding community.

“I would say that the severity is about the same, but the frequency is down,” Englin said. “I’m glad to see the students’ response saying that this is not OK.”

Englin said he has an idea of why this kind of harassment happens at colleges worldwide.

“People come from all different backgrounds with their own ideals,” Englin said. “That’s where it would be great to have a conversation with the individuals responsible, so we know why exactly they did it. We want to have different views, but when it targets individuals or groups and says that they are not welcome, then that’s when we step in.”

This harassment has obviously affected both students and community members, those of which, as said prior, could not be stated, but Englin said “our priority is to focus on the victims, then look at the bigger picture. We want to navigate and provide the support they need.”

The Department of Residence has and will contact the ISU Police Department if something similar in nature happens again here at Iowa State.

“We have and always will take it seriously. We notify ISU Police to help document and when we do we’re looking at violation, not a crime,” Englin said.

No perpetrator has come forward or been caught as of yet, but the investigations still continue. Englin remains in high spirits, however, and is proud of the Iowa State community for its response to this kind of harassment.

“This generation of students gets it,” Englin said. “I’m very optimistic that we’re on a much better path, but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt as much as it did now.”

Englin assured everything is being done to try and find out who wrote the messages and this kind of behavior will not be tolerated at Iowa State.

“Our job is to educate and teach around, to create accountability around us,” Englin said. “If you look at the support and chair of student body that this kind of harassment is not what it means to be a Cyclone. If you’re going to start harassing individuals, don’t live here.”