ISU West to no longer lease through Iowa State

Emily Blobaum/Iowa State Daily

The sun rises over the pond at the Fountain View apartment complex in west Ames. 

Ryan Pattee

After five years of leasing through Iowa State, the ISU West apartments will no longer be leasing through the university.

ISU West has been housing students through the university to help accomodate the increasing number of students on campus. However, leasing through Iowa State will end after this academic year.

“The decision was made late spring, early summer. We informed early incoming students that it would only be a one year option. We came out this week and let them know what their options were,” said Brittney Rutherford, Marketing Coordinator for the Department of Residence.

Rutherford said that the Department of Residence made this decision now that planned construction for Iowa State has now been completed.

“When you lease it, you lease. You don’t own it and we knew it wasn’t going to be long term. By looking at the occupant projections, leasing was a good temporary fix while having the six buildings being added to Frederiksen Court, and creating Geoffrey Hall,” Rutherford said.

As of this time there are no plans for Iowa State to lease out any more apartment buildings unless there is another large influx of students.

Students who are currently living at ISU West will continue to do so until the end of the academic ear and have top priority if they wish to rent again next year. Students wishing to live at ISU West will still be able to, but will have to lease through the property owner rather than through Iowa State.