Editorial: A letter to the next Iowa State president

Beardshear Hall from Central Campus on Sept. 19.

As the 16th president of this great university, the Editorial Board would like to congratulate you on your success. We have a feeling that you are excited and want to get right down to business by constantly making Iowa State a better university, and we have a few suggestions on how you can get started.

Iowa State is currently conducting a Campus Climate Survey that ends on Oct. 31. This survey will give you a better idea about the challenges our university and the Cyclone community is facing. However, even before the results are released, the Editorial Board thinks that the major issues requiring your leadership include (but not necessarily limited to): diversity and inclusion, sexual assault prevention, the costs of attending Iowa State and a strong vision for Iowa State.

Diversity and inclusion is an issue that communities should always be striving for. Just last month, white nationalist recruiting posters were found in several places around campus. However, this issue isn’t just about organized hate groups in our community. Evidence of systematic problems with diversity and inclusion is apparent in a variety of situations across our campus. Luckily, a lot of students, faculty and community members are working to celebrate diversity and make a more inclusive environment. What we need from you, our next president, is to listen to us about the real issues members of our community face. Listen — then develop a plan and enact it with passion.

As we have witnessed with the recent #MeToo campaign, survivors of sexual assault are speaking out and our communities are (or should be) demanding more action to reduce the number of sexual assaults. Iowa State has recently engaged in several programs such as Green Dot and ISU Police Department’s “start by believing” campaign. More education about what it means to obtain consent is essential. We’ve taken some steps to make our community safer. But, what more can we do? The Editorial Board would like you to help us answer that question. This is an issue facing universities across our country. Collaborate and listen so that we can end sexual violence in all forms.

The Iowa State Legislature has failed to adequately fund our state universities. Subsequently, a tuition increase has been proposed to the Board of Regents Tuition Task Force. This tuition hike along with differential increases in certain majors means the cost of attending Iowa State may become a prohibitive hurdle for future students. It is now your job to advocate for affordable higher education to our elected officials who hold the purse strings to our state funding. The Editorial Board thinks that you should take time to talk with students who will be severely impacted by these tuition increases. Then, fearlessly act on our behalf and communicate our stories with the Board of Regents, the state legislature and the governor.

We’ve outlined several issues we find important. There are a plethora of other issues and new ones that we have yet to identify. We also think that we as a community will be able to tackle these problems with bold leadership. That is what we are asking of you. Iowa State needs a strong vision to push us into the future so that we may become the leading institution we all know we can be.

We have high expectations from you, just as you should have high expectations for our university. We are excited you’re here and wish you the best of luck!