Student Government to host town hall on affordability

Curtiss Hall is home to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. The three finalists for the next CALS dean will be coming to Iowa State in September.

Alex Connor

In an effort to address college affordability on campus, Student Government will host a town hall Monday evening.

Student Government President Cody West and Vice President Cody Smith will be fielding the questions, and students will also have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss their concerns. 

The key focus for Monday’s town hall is college affordability and its components such as housing, differential tuition and textbooks. The town hall will begin at 5:30 p.m. at 2155 Marston Hall and will last for about two hours.

Student Government recently revamped its town hall process as the original format wasn’t connecting with students as they had hoped. 

President Cody West and Vice President Cody Smith campaigned on town halls as a way to increase communication with their constituents as well as civic engagement. Previous town halls this year have been on issues such as campus climate. 

Additionally, Student Government will moderate a town hall with Iowa State administrators in the student affairs division.

The event — which will take place Nov. 9 at 5:30 p.m. at the Memorial Union — will be an opportunity for students to ask senior administrators questions on campus issues. 

The forum will cover topics including: campus climate, tuition, student health and infrastructure.

Panelists include Kate Gregory, senior vice president of university services; Martino Harmon, senior vice president for student affairs; Miles Lackey, chief financial officer; Reginald Stewart, vice president for diversity and inclusion; Jonathan Wickert, senior vice president and provost; and Cody Smith, Student Government vice president. 

For the Nov. 9 co-town hall, students are encouraged to send questions they have in advance via this form.