Organizations speak out about abortion ban and birth control regulations

Emma Toms

Over the last week, new rules regarding abortion and birth control from both state and federal governments have come to the forefront of conversations.

On Oct. 3, the House of Representatives passed legislation that would criminalize abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy. According to cnnpolitics.com, the bill passed in the House by a vote for 237 for and 189 against the bill.

In addition, the Trump administration has now come out with a new proposal that allows employers to choose to cover birth control for their employees or opt out if they have a religious or moral reason against it.

In April 2017, the state of Iowa passed a 20 week abortion ban, as a fetus is fully developed after 24 weeks of pregnancy, according to the Mayo Clinic. The only way to have an abortion after the 20 week mark is if it is affecting the mother’s health or if the mother’s life is in danger.

ISU Students for Life is in support of the 20 week ban.

“We believe, at Students for Life, that this is something that would actually be a benefit to them (women) because we believe that abortion is not something that brings healing to women that are in an unplanned pregnancy or have been abused; it’ll bring an end to the pregnancy but not help them long term,” said Melinda Hoyt, president of ISU Students for Life.

ISU Students for Life is also in support of the Trump administration’s new birth control regulations.

“This ruling reverses the ruling of the previous administration where employers in this new ruling are no longer required to insure birth control for women if they have religious or moral convictions that would be compromised by financially supporting such birth control,” said Hoyt. “I believe in life from conception. I also tend to favor the birth control ban because there are certain birth control specifically, emergency birth control contraceptives, that may act in an abortive way, such as Plan B One-Step or Ella.”

On the other hand, representatives from Planned Parenthood spoke out against the new ruling about birth control, for they fear it will negatively impact the number of women who have their birth control covered.

“We [Planned Parenthood] are very opposed to this new rule for it takes women back a century,” said Rachel Lopez, public relations manager at Planned Parenthood of the Heartland in Ames. “It is morally outrageous and dangerous. It impedes women’s progress and their right to health care.”

Lopez also talked about what it would mean for college students who are relying on their employer for birth control coverage.

“It will be devastating for [college students],” Lopez said. “They will have to pay for birth control out of their pocket.”

Despite the rulings, Planned Parenthood will still be able to help women in need of their services. The Thielen Student Health Center also provides women’s health counseling and prescriptions, and can answer questions about birth control, sexual health and other issues related to women’s health.