Growing beards against cancer

Lauren Kline

November hasn’t even begun and it’s already cold- why not keep warm and grow out your beard for a good cause?

For the month of November, both men and women are choosing to put down their razors as part of a fundraiser for cancer research. ISU No Shave is a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society started by Hannah Carlson in the fall of 2016. Many similar fundraisers are held nationwide, but Carlson chose this event to get people involved because it is entertaining, relatively simple and the help it brings is tremendous.

“My dad raised me by saying, ‘If you are in a position to help someone, you should help them,'” said Carlson. 

Carlson is both a marketing major and the Marketing Chair for Iowa State’s Colleges Against Cancer chapter, and the topic it centers on is something she holds very close to her heart. After joining the committee her freshman year, she knew raising money for cancer research was something she really wanted to do.

Carlson has seen cancer come full circle in her family in both positive and negative ways, with her family celebrating triumphs against cancer and sharing in loss because of it. Carlson’s dad celebrated 10 years of being cancer free this last summer, but her freshman year was rocked by losing her uncle to cancer. 

With possible budget cuts on cancer research in the near future, Carlson feels that it is extremely important to raise money for cancer now than ever before.

“No matter what political side you are on, they are debating making budget cuts for cancer research,” Carlson said. “That’s why right now it’s super important to raise money for the American Cancer Society.” 

Iowa State Colleges Against Cancer puts on several events throughout the year, and although ISU No Shave is a relatively important event, the group’s largest event of the year is Relay for Life. At the end of the month, the money raised from No Shave goes directly toward one’s Relay For Life fundraising account, and helps continue to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

The month of November is also focused on raising money for cancer research.

Although No Shave is fun for men because they get to show off their facial hair, women are not discouraged to participate in this fundraiser. At the end of the month, whoever fundraises the most money will win a prize. There will also be prizes for people with the longest beard, best mustache, highest individual fundraiser and highest Greek chapter fundraiser. 

“As this will be our first official year, I am excited for what this event will bring,” Carlson said. 

If you haven’t signed up by Nov. 1, it’s not too late. Students can sign up for the fundraiser any time throughout the month of November.

To sign up, visit crowdrise.com/isunoshave to sign up, and with a simple donation of $10.00, students easily get a head start in fundraiser up until the group’s major events. Others, like family members and friends, can contribute donations to a student’s team, so sharing on social media in increase involvement is encouraged.

ISU No Shave kicks off their virtual event on Facebook, 6 to 7 p.m., Nov. 1.

For more information, visit Iowa State Colleges on Campus on Facebook at www.facebook.com/isucac/ for info on this year’s No Shave and other upcoming events.