Editorial: Students have the opportunity to make their voice heard, but most haven’t

SPEAKER+STOCK

SPEAKER STOCK

Students at a public university have an obligation to the public. Each one of us — no matter how we identify — has an obligation to give back to the community. That obligation means, in one form or another, making campus a better place for those who come after us.  

Being active and civically engaged should be the norm not a rarity. 

Unfortunately, in the case of the campus climate survey, many students haven’t chosen to be civically engaged. The university has given any student a simple way to voice concerns, but most haven’t taken it yet. Luckily, the survey is being extended. 

It’s not too late. Make your voice heard. 

As of Monday, the task force charged with issuing the campus climate survey didn’t have enough student responses to be statistically sound. What does this mean? If the university is to use these results, they couldn’t include any of the student voice because there aren’t enough participants to represent the population at Iowa State. 

The task force has since extended the deadline to Nov. 7. Make your voice heard.

As the website suggests, the campus climate survey is everyone’s responsibility. Students, faculty and staff have the opportunity to weigh in about their “perceptions of living, working and learning at Iowa State.” The community needs input from those who have had a range of experiences on campus so the university administration knows what areas should be improved.

The survey is meant for students of color and white students. It’s meant for women and men. It’s meant for students who have disabilities and those who don’t. It’s meant for students who have served in the military, are serving in the military, have never served or plan to serve in the military. It’s meant for students across the gender spectrum and along the socioeconomic class ladder. It’s made for students from all of the colleges. It’s meant for each and every student. Make your voice heard.

If there is one thing that is almost as frustrating as issues on campus, it’s students not getting involved or giving input about those issues. We are consistently exposed to discussions about how Iowa State could be improved. Make your voice heard. 

More about the survey: 

This survey is a part of an effort for the university to work toward one of the goals listed in the strategic plan to “continue to enhance and cultivate the ISU Experience where faculty, staff, students and visitors are safe and feel welcomed, supported, included and valued by the university and each other.”

This goal, we argue, is largely because students, faculty and staff pushed for it. Our voices do make an impact, but only when we speak up. While we might not all be willing to publicly write or speak our opinions, giving honest feedback via an online survey allows a more private setting to offer our perspectives.

Through the survey, the university can develop ways to better improve the atmosphere on campus. Things like the Principles of Community can be the forefront of the university’s focus to improve the ways each of us think about the actions we take.

As much as it is hard to receive negative criticism, without it the university cannot improve. Likewise, knowing what is going well — or somewhat well — will allow the campus to capitalize on those strengths.

The survey should take you no longer than 20 minutes. It takes less than 20 minutes to make an impact on campus for the greater good.

The ISD Editorial Board not only again encourages, but also urges, ISU students to make your voices heard through the campus climate survey. Additionally, we encourage student leaders, faculty and staff to push participation in the survey amongst your network.