C-Nettes uniforms funded through StuGov Excellence Fund

Alex Connor/Iowa State Daily

President of C-Nettes Alexis Adams passed around a photo of the uniform her organization was hoping to buy after being funded by Student Government. Student Government approved the funding 25-0-0.

Alex Connor

The senate debated on whether or not to fund a student organization out of the Excellence Fund during its meeting Wednesday night.

C-Nettes, an all-girls majorette dance team, was the organization requesting the funding in the amount of $1,390, which was ultimately approved by Student Government.

Alexis Adams, president and founder of C-Nettes, represented the organization, the reason that she formed the dance team being to bring an aspect of her culture to Iowa State.

The funding from Student Government will be used to purchased 10 uniforms for club members, which will be recycled at the end of the year.

Some senators were unsure if the funding request met the Excellence Fund criteria, which was an account added this year to fund organization that “raised the university profile or prestige.”

Sen. Samuel Rankin sponsored the act, which he said met the Excellence Fund criteria because of its promotion of diversity and inclusion, as well as its additional fundraising efforts.

“I think this is an excellent group. I think it does meet the Excellence Fund,” Speaker Zoey Shipley said.

Some senators were concerned with C-Nettes restrictive membership as an “all-girls” dance team, but Adams said that should a male request to join they would not be turned away.

Asked why she feels the uniforms and her organization met the Excellence Fund criteria, Adams credited the C-Nettes involvement in other aspects of campus.

“We’re not one of those organizations that are just out on campus dancing,” Adams said. “We want to get involved… so everyone can know who we are as an organization.”

Other organizations funded Wednesday included the Chess Club for chess boards, Odyssey of the Mind for advertising, the Ethical Eating Club for a conference, the Puerto Rican Student Association for a cultural event and the ISU Genre Club for building rental for a show.