Cyclones finish a tough week with another challenge on the road

Senior Monique Harris encouraging a teammate during the Iowa State vs. Oklahoma game. 

Trevor Holbrook

Iowa State volleyball was thoroughly tested throughout its non-conference schedule, facing three currently ranked teams: No. 14 Creighton, No. 22 Northern Iowa and No. 25 Wichita State.

Now that Big 12 play has started, Iowa State’s schedule continues to be a challenging slate of games for the Cyclones.

After Iowa State travelled to Lawrence, Kansas, to play the Jayhawks, the Cyclones had a match-free day. On Friday night, the busy stretch of days continues for Iowa State, taking on Texas Tech on the road.

This week, the experimenting with the 6-2 and 5-1 will continue.

“We’re still evaluating 5-1 [or] 6-2,” said coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “We’ll still continue to go back and forth. We’ll do both in practice and use the 6-2 as needed.”

The shifting from 5-1 to 6-2 could weigh on a team’s setter, but Iowa State has the luxury of experience at the starting setter position.

Senior setter Monique Harris can use her experience to help prepare herself for the condensed three-day stretch.

“[The key to staying sharp on the road is to] just get lots of rest and just stay focused all the time,” Harris said.

Texas Tech is not only a good team, but it is a team that thrives at home. The Red Raiders have defended their home court, winning their first five matches at home this season.

The Cyclones have stomped all over the Red Raiders with defeating Texas Tech in 21 straight matches.

The last Texas Tech win over Iowa State was on October 14, 2006 in Lubbock, Texas.

If the Red Raiders end that drought, it will likely be courtesy of their sophomore hitter duo. Texas Tech’s top offensive weapons, Emily Hill and Chandler Atwood, are both outside hitters.

Hill leads the Red Raiders with 188 kills. Alongside Hill, Atwood has chipped in 167 kills

The sophomore tandem is the face of the Texas Tech offense, but the Cyclones shouldn’t sleep on junior middle blocker Katy Keenan, either.

Keenan currently has 109 kills, but it’s her efficiency that lends her an opportunity to be a catalyst for the Red Raider’s offense. Keenan leads the team in hitting percentage for players with at least 10 attack attempts.

The 6-2 blocker also has a knack for turning in strong performances against Iowa State. Last season, Keenan tied her career-high in kills (12) and total attacks (26) in Lubbock.

The diversity of hitters could lead to problems for Iowa State, but freshman defensive specialist Izzy Enna could minimize the damage dealt by Texas Tech’s potent attackers.

Enna has discovered her role for Iowa State: play solid defense and serve the ball. Enna only compiled four digs in her first six collegiate matches. In six matches since then, the freshman has 35 digs.

Enna has prevailed from the challenges thrown at her throughout this season, but this week provided a new challenge. Coming into this week Enna had only played one conference match.

This week, Enna has to handle two matches in three days. For some freshmen, this could be an overwhelming week, but Enna is taking a simple approach to it.

“[I] just have to focus on the next thing and not focus too far in the future,” Enna said. “[I’m trying to] make sure to just focus on one thing at a time with school and volleyball.”