Men’s golf team look for first victory of the season heading to the Erin Hils Intercollegiate

Richard Martinez/Iowa State Dail

ISU men’s golf coach Andrew Tank is seen speaking with senior Sam Daley in October, 2014. Tank will return to his alma mater, Minnesota, at the 2015 Gopher Invitiational on Sept. 13 and 14.

Ivan Vega

The Iowa State men’s golf team will head north to compete in the Erin Hills Intercollegiate hosted by Marquette University at the Erin Hills Golf Course on Oct. 1 to Oct. 3.

This golf course is the site of the 2017 U.S. Open, and features a three-day competition to Iowa State and 14 more Division I men’s golf teams.

The field features 11 teams that qualified for NCAA Regional play in 2017, including host Marquette, along with four teams (Florida State, Iowa State, Ole Miss and Purdue) that played in the 30-team NCAA Men’s Golf Championship. Other teams include Augusta, Michigan State, Northern Illinois, UC Davis, UCLA, UTEP, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Northwestern and South Florida.

This lineup has two of the past tournament’s winners in UCLA (2014) and Northwestern (2016).

This will mark the Cyclone’s third consecutive competition with Marquette and Wisconsin, and second time competing with the likes of Purdue, Texas A&M and Northern Illinois.

The Cyclones are coming off a top-three finish at the Northern Intercollegiate.

After tying for fifth place on the first day of the Northern Intercollegiate hosted by Northern Illinois, the Cyclones gave a third round comeback to finish third overall, beating the host by nine strokes.

Marquette won the overall competition by a score of (274-272-287=833), and had their own Oliver Farrell (66-65-72=203) tied for first place.

Redshirt senior Denzel Ieremia was the highest ranked Cyclone in the competition, tying for fourth place firing a sub-70 in the third round. (72-71-66=209).

After him was freshman Frank Lindwall tying for 14th (69-74-71=214). Followed by sophomore Tripp Kinney (71-77-72=220).

Tying for 41st were freshmen Lachlan Barker (74-73-75=222) and Danny Daniels (75-73-74=222).

It was Daniels’s collegiate debut, replacing Sam Vincent on last week’s competition starting lineup.

Vincent played in the Northern Intercollegiate as an individual tying for 63rd, posting a (73-80-78=231)

We have seen head coach Andrew Tank change the starting lineup depending on the team’s needs and individual competition on practice.

The Cyclones will be looking for their first victory.

But there are a lot of positives in this year, after Ieremia posted his eighth-career top-10 finish and 17th sub-70 round in last week’s tournament.

Already having two top-10 finishes this year, marking half of the four he had in the 2016-2017 season, the Cyclones will follow behind Ieremia.

Freshmen Lindwall has made the biggest improvement by the numbers. The Iowa native finished 74th in the Badger Invitational, outranking two upperclassmen in Vincent and junior Conner Koberg.

Given the head nod again on the starting line-up by head coach Tank, the freshmen followed on the Northern Intercollegiate by posting his first sub-70 round on the second round.

He finished tied 14th, improving his score from 228 to 214 on a 54-hole tournament.

This tournament will be a 7,722-yard Par-72 tournament, having weather forecasted in the low 70s and 50s on the first day of playing, but high 70s and 50s on the following two days of competition.

The Cyclones begin on Sunday, Oct. 1, and will conclude on Tuesday, Oct. 3.