Cyclone Cinema

Isaac Carson

Last spring 17,000 people utilized the free movie screenings at Cyclone Cinema. This semester they are already at 7,500 in attendance and they are just over a third of the way through their lineup.

One student had high praise for the Cyclone Cinema. After watching Baby Driver last Thursday, Nathan Hall said “I don’t know what else to ask for. They have good times, several [show] dates, and a good venue. I guess the only thing more I could ask for would be free popcorn.” He said with a laugh.

Cyclone Cinema shows a variety of movies for free at 7:00 & 10:00 pm on Thursday through Sunday each week, At room 101 in Carver Hall.

Each movie costs the Student Union Board anywhere from $1000 to $2000 dollars for the licensing rights to show the movie all four days. Yet the cost to students is free.

The movies shown are decided by the Cyclone Cinema Co-Directors; Diego Bonilla and Karlie Nelson. With assistance from George Micalone the Director of Student Activities. The three of them work to decide which movies to bring to campus each semester. They set the lineup for the fall semester by the end of May, and the spring semester lineup by the end of November. This coming spring they are bringing movies such as Thor Ragnarok and Star Wars: The Last Jedi to campus.

The movies are selected on how recent they are. For this upcoming spring semester they won’t look back past movies released in October of this year. The three of them also look specifically at movies that receive Oscar buzz, and are popular in the box-office. The semester movie lineups are made to be diverse, with shows for everyone.

Cars 3 – Lightning McQueen sets out to prove to a new generation of racers that he’s still the best race car in the world.

The Hitman’s Bodyguard – The world’s top bodyguard gets a new client, a hit man who must testify at the International Court of Justice. They must put their differences aside and work together to make it to the trial on time.

Spiderman Homecoming – Peter Parker tries to balance his life as an ordinary high school student in Queens with his superhero alter-ego Spider-Man, and must confront a new menace prowling the skies of New York City.

Despicable Me 3 – Gru meets his long-lost charming, cheerful, and more successful twin brother Dru who wants to team up with him for one last criminal heist.

Dark Tower – The last Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, has been locked in an eternal battle with Walter O’Dim, also known as the Man in Black, determined to prevent him from toppling the Dark Tower, which holds the universe together. With the fate of the worlds at stake, good and evil will collide in the ultimate battle as only Roland can defend the Tower from the Man in Black.

Atomic Blonde – An undercover MI6 agent is sent to Berlin during the Cold War to investigate the murder of a fellow agent and recover a missing list of double agents.

Dunkirk – Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire and France are surrounded by the German Army, and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.

Logan Lucky – Two brothers attempt to pull off a heist during a NASCAR race in North Carolina.

IT – A group of bullied kids band together when a shapeshifting demon, taking the appearance of a clown, begins hunting children.

*Information for these summaries were taken from IMDb.com