Human Sciences Week ran by new Student Leadership Team

Courtesy of Jenna Petersen

The Student Leadership team planned College of Human Sciences Week this year.

Tara Larson

Although this year marks the third annual Human Sciences Week, there is a new spin on it this time around.

This year, students will run the week rather than faculty, as it has been done in the past. Administration made the decision to switch to a student-run team, and created the Student Leadership Team.

“Ultimately, it was students who were interested in having Human Sciences Week,” said Jenn Plagman-Galvin, co-adviser for the Student Leadership Team. “It’s really a celebration of the high-impact education students get in the College of Human Sciences. Because it’s a celebration of high-impact student experiences, certainly we offer high-impact student leadership opportunities for students to plan the week of events.”

College of Human Sciences students Jenna Petersen and Zoey Sternquist, found out about the opportunity to establish the team and became its co-chairs.

“After last year’s [Human Sciences Week] we decided to pioneer the club,” Petersen said. “So, we decided to volunteer our time to help interview for and help select a student leadership team.”

Besides the two co-chairs, there are other positions like communications chair, fiscal director, HS council liaison, operations chair and event chair. All positions are filled by students.

In addition to the members of the team, there are about 5,000 other students involved, Sternquist said.

Sternquist and Petersen oversee and connect five departments within their club, as well as building their team.

The week beginning Monday, Oct. 2 and concluding on Friday, Oct. 6, is a celebration for College of Human Sciences’ programs and traditions with food, dance, speakers and philanthropic events, according to their website.

Although the structure of the leadership changed this year, some of the events are still around. Cherry pies, an old VEISHEA tradition, will be sold Monday from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the dining room entrance of the Joan Bice Underwood Tearoom, located in 23 MacKay Hall. These pies will be sold for $2 each. They will also be sold from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, and the rest of the week until sold out.

On top of the traditional events, some new activities are part of the week this year. For example, purchased buttons will give students and faculty members access to one meal per day all week. Meals will be from restaurants such as Jeff’s Pizza and Hickory Park.

New events also include the Healthiest State Walk, and a free movie, “Wonder Woman,” will be held on Central Campus.

Full event information can be found on the Human Sciences Week website as well as their Facebook page.