Iowa State political science student seeking school board candidacy in hometown

Cody Woodruff, 20, is running for school board in his hometown of Carlisle. Woodruff is a junior at Iowa State and vice speaker for Student Government. 

Alex Connor

When Iowa State junior Cody Woodruff started seriously thinking about running for his hometown school board – it was a combination of national and state political climate that egged him on.

From Carlisle, Iowa – a town with a relatively small population just south of Des Moines – several seats had opened up on the school board of five, with one being in Woodruff’s district.

It was in December that Woodruff began to foster the idea, February when he finalized his decision to run and this past summer that he really began to start knocking on neighbor’s doors and promoting his platform.

“I saw these things going on and I realized I had an opportunity to do something about it,” Woodruff said. “I’ve always been one who has wanted to serve in some capacity – that is why I’m in StuGov, that’s why I’ve been in various elected offices throughout high school and all that and I just have a passion in education that I want to give back to my community.”

Woodruff – a political science major – currently serves as the vice speaker of Student Government. For him, education has been a major issue he’s been lobbying for over the past several years – both at a higher education-level but also K-12.

Funding, Woodruff said, being one of his main concerns.

“I’ve worked on that issue at the Capitol when I was in high school and now in college,” Woodruff said. “And I will continue to whether I am elected or not, because I think they [the state legislature] are not investing in education – which is not an investment in the state of Iowa and our future. Which I think is a huge mistake.”

Reactions to Woodruff’s candidacy, he said, have been largely supportive. And throughout his campaign process, he’s been running it as closely to the real-deal as possible – or at least what he’s learned in class or from working on previous campaigns.

Woodruff held a campaign event last Tuesday in Carlisle, where he invited constituents for pizza and to also hear about his vision about the future of schools in the district.

“There was a gentleman who was at the event and he and I talked for about 15 minutes, and it was just awesome to hear some of his concerns,” Woodruff said. “He said, ‘You’ve already won over my vote but let’s talk anyways.’

“I like hearing those conversations and hearing what people have to think and trying to find ways to address the issues that they bring up.”

Woodruff, 20, is also running because of his investment in youth representation in politics.

“I want tons of people – regardless of backgrounds – to run and to get excited about politics,” Woodruff said. “Because we need young people to care and to care early on because we can make the biggest impact and really change the direction of our country.”

Woodruff noted his friend – Josh Hughes – who was elected at 18 to serve on the I-35 school board. Like Woodruff, Hughes is also a college student, who wanted to serve as a public servant to his hometown.

“It’s just important to continue that tradition of seeing young people elected, and not just white males like Josh and I,” Woodruff said.

Woodruff also has support from both a state and city level.

“He is open, honest, and a willing listener. I encourage you to give him a call, for I know he is eager to talk to you about your ideas with regard to Carlisle’s Community Schools,” said State Rep. Scott Ourth in his endorsement of Woodruff. 

With school board elections looming on Tuesday, Sept. 12, the seat Woodruff is campaigning for is being contested by one other individual.

“I love doing it. I love representing the people and working for students, and being an advocate for them – whether it’s at the Capitol or at our school board back at Carlisle,” Woodruff said.