Office for Diversity and Inclusion to hold Campus Conversation Friday

Tyler Coffey/Iowa State Daily

A group shares their thoughts on various topics related to inclusion during Campus Convos on Nov. 9 in Beardshear Hall. Much of the conversation revolved around Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s presidential victory early on Nov. 9 and how his victory could possibly affect the treatment of minority groups at Iowa State and within the United States.

Whitney Mason

Following national and local events surrounding diversity issues, the Office for Diversity and Inclusion welcomes the community to take part in an open conversation on these issues.

Campus Conversations will take place Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in 3150 Beardshear Hall and is the third of its kind.

This conversation follows the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, which resulted in one fatality and 19 injuries after a car was intentionally driven into a crowd of counter protesters.

The “Unite the Right” rally hosted thousands of white nationalists who came together to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Members of the Ames and Iowa State communities responded to the events of Charlottesville by holding a rally of their own.

350 came together in Bandshell Park to oppose white nationalism.

Shortly following the rally, a Snapchat sent out by an Iowa State freshman containing a racial slur was widely publicized on Twitter after Willie Harvey, Iowa State linebacker and senior in management, initially tweeted it out.

Harvey shared his strong opposition to the post saying, “Everyone associated with Iowa State University. HELP ME FIND THEIR @ NAME’S. This is not acceptable or “cool”.” 

The conversation will include these events as well as other that occurred over the past year, many surrounding the presidential race. 

At the Cy-Hawk tailgate in 2015, a supporter of then Republican candidate Donald Trump tore apart a sign made by Trump protesters. This followed the vandalization of a statue of George Washington Carver on campus. 

Another event from last year that may be discussed is the appearance of posters around campus last October that spread messages of “white heritage,” which some considered to be exemplary of white supremacy.  

The time set aside for this event is for people to find support and to engage in conversations that will elicit action plans the university and community can take to move in forward in solidarity.