Iowa State soccer defeats Creighton 3-0 in opener

Iowa State freshman Hannah Cade pushes the ball up field against Drake on Oct. 18.

Noah Rohlfing

The Iowa State women’s soccer team opened their 2017 season with a 3-0 win over the Creighton Bluejays on Friday night. 

The Cyclones struggled for stretches in the first half as a young Creighton team was breaking up plays and making it hard for the Cyclones to find a consistent rhythm. Creighton finished with 16 fouls, while Iowa State had six.

The Cyclones were outshot in the first half 9-7, but took control in the second half and wound up with 21 shots to Creighton’s 12 shots. 

Redshirt junior Brooke Tasker scored the first goal of the game in the 49th minute off of an assist from sophomore midfielder/defender Marin Daniel.

Sophomore forward Merin Mundt scored a free kick goal in the 53rd minute to make it a 2-0 lead. Mundt also assisted Carly Langhurst’s headed goal in the 83rd minute. 

Daniel picked up a yellow card for the Cyclones at 53 minutes into the game. Creighton’s Darby Hugunin and Taryn Jakubowski were given the game’s other bookings. 

Iowa State plays their next game at 2 p.m. on Sunday against the Missouri Tigers at Audrey J. Walton Soccer Stadium in Columbia, Mo.