StuGov expresses solidarity after Charlottesville rally, violence

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Protests over the removal of the statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee sparked violence that resulted in the death of a 32-year-old woman. 

Alex Connor

University student leaders across the country – including Iowa State Student Body President Cody West – are joining in solidarity to condemn the actions in Charlottesville, Virginia on Saturday.

Charlottesville was host to a “Unite the Right” rally over the weekend in which thousands of white nationalists gathered to protest against the removal of a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee from a Charlottesville park.

The rally led to counter-protesting – and a clash between the two groups –resulting in the death of one 32-year-old woman and at least 19 injured after a car rammed into a crowd of counter-protestors. 

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe also issued a state of emergency as a result of the violent demonstrations.  

“We are deeply saddened by the events that have occurred in Charlottesville, Virginia,” the letter of solidarity from the student body presidents read. “We stand with the students of University of Virginia, as what affects one of our campuses affects us all.”

On Friday evening, roughly 100 white nationalists marched on the University of Virginia campus carrying torches and chanting Nazi slogans. 

“College campuses are spaces that students should be able to call home, not places of violence, hate and racism,” the letter read. “Students should always feel welcome and safe at our incredible higher education institutions, never having to fear for their personal well being.”

The letter was signed by more than 40 student body presidents including neighboring universities such as the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities and several Illinois colleges. 

“As the voice of our students, we collectively call on one another to speak up in the face of injustice, as silence reduces us to bystanders in oppression,” the letter read. 

The letter promoted support for not just the University of Virginia but “to make clear our advocacy for the victimized and marginalized students on all our campuses.”

“We will continue to support students and universities in their peaceful resistance to violence, racism, white supremacy, bigotry and acts of terrorism on our own campuses and beyond,” the letter read.