Basketball notebook: Lewis gunning for starting job, Wigginton update and more

Terrence Lewis looks for a rebound during Sunday’s YMCA Capital City League action.

Aaron Marner

The YMCA Capital City League has looked a lot different this year than in past seasons.

The schedule has changed, and for some days, the venue is different as well. But perhaps the biggest difference is that there are fewer and fewer familiar faces for Cyclone fans.

Gone are Monte Morris, Matt Thomas, Naz Mitrou-Long and Deonte Burton. Those four made impacts at Cap City for multiple years and were a great reason for fans to come out to games.

Now that they’re gone, the torch has been passed along.

Terrence Lewis expects to start from day one

Lewis, a freshman from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, has been a consistent scorer and defender in the YMCA Capital City League this summer. He and fellow Cyclone Solomon Young have carried their team to multiple big wins.

Lewis was rated as a top-100 recruit by 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN. He was ranked as highly as No. 59 (ESPN) and considered to be the best player from Wisconsin.

Because of those high rankings, there are high expectations for Lewis; some of which have been placed by himself.

Lewis said he expects to start right away as a freshman for Iowa State.

That likely means competing with Nick Weiler-Babb, Lindell Wigginton and Donovan Jackson for playing time.

The good news for Lewis? He’s already playing against Weiler-Babb and Wigginton — along with Virginia transfer Marial Shayok — in Cap City and in workouts.

“I’m normally going against Nick Babb,” Lewis said. “And Donovan Jackson, getting my quickness better on defense. [Against] Marial, getting my shot off on a bigger guy like my size.”

Lewis’ talent has been apparent this summer during Cap City. On Thursday, he dropped 28 points and grabbed five boards in a 116-76 win. The most impressive part of those 28 points? Lewis shot 13-for-15 from the floor, including 13-for-13 from inside the 3-point line.

Cameron Lard ready to continue winning legacy

Another big-time performer at Cap City this summer has been Cameron Lard.

Lard, who signed with Iowa State as a member of the 2016 recruiting class, did not play last season. He arrived on campus for the spring semester in 2017 and redshirted.

Now, with a redshirt season under his belt, Lard just wants to get on the floor and win games.

Listed at 6-foot-9 and boasting an impressive list of scholarship offers out of high school, there is plenty of reason for Cyclone fans to get excited about Lard’s potential.

Lard posted 16 points, 10 boards and three blocks in his most recent Cap City game, along with a behind-the-back alley-oop pass to Marial Shayok.

Lard said he’s aware of the expectations fans have for him after his redshirt season.

“I’m just here to win games and keep the legacy going on,” Lard said. “Just do everything I can for the team.”

That legacy, as Lard pointed out, is tough to continue.

“The fact that [previous Iowa State teams] won the last three out of four Big 12 conference championships, that’s tough,” Lard said. “To keep that going on, I feel like that would be me accomplishing things that people wanted for me to do here.”

Lindell Wigginton continues to impress for Canada

One Cyclone who hasn’t made an impact at Cap City is Lindell Wigginton. That’s not a bad thing for Wigginton, though.

Wigginton, a top-50 recruit in the 2017 class, is team captain for the Canada U19 team that is playing in Cairo, Egypt for the FIBA World Cup this month.

In Canada’s first game, Wigginton started and led Canada in minutes. He finished with six points, seven rebounds and seven assists in Canada’s 91-42 win over Mali.

On Sunday, Canada fell to Spain, 78-73. Wigginton started that game as well. He finished with 11 points, seven rebounds and an assist in the loss.

Canada’s next game is scheduled to tip at 6:45 a.m. on Tuesday. The game can be streamed here.