YMCA Capital City League gets underway

Junior Donovan Jackson goes up for a layup during a game against #9 Baylor, Saturday afternoon in Hilton Coliseum. After being tied at halftime, the Cyclones pulled off the upset, winning 72-69, and improved to 19-9 overall (11-5 in conference).

Aaron Marner

The YMCA Capital City League (CCL) begins at 5:30 p.m. Thursday with three games at Valley Southwoods freshman high school in Des Moines.

The first game features a matchup between Doerrfield and JayTees. Doerrfield’s roster includes Iowa State forwards Solomon Young and Terrence Lewis. It will be Lewis’ first time playing with a Cyclone teammate.

JayTees Apparel features first overall pick Nick Weiler-Babb. Weiler-Babb nearly averaged a triple-double last year in the CCL and will be carrying a heavy load as the only scholarship Iowa State player on his team.

The second game of the day is Hinterland and Hannah Homes.

Hinterland has an interesting roster, with Donovan Jackson as the only Cyclone on the team.

Hannah Homes has returning freshman Jakolby Long. Long, who didn’t play much in his rookie campaign, was a highly-rated recruit out of high school with several power five scholarship offers.

His Cyclone teammate is Michael Jacobson. Jacobson, a transfer from Nebraska, is a native of Waukee, Iowa. Jacobson started all 31 games for Nebraska as a sophomore and averaged 6 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.

The final game of the night is between the Lions Club and Sparta Waste Services.

The Lions Club will be without Lindell Wigginton, who is training with the Canadian U19 team throughout most of June. Jeff Beverly, who transferred from Texas-San Antonio, will be the only Cyclone on the roster.

Drake’s Reed Timmer is also on the Lions Club roster. Timmer has had several big scoring games in CCL before.

Sparta Waste Services features a number of new faces. Its Iowa State duo is redshirt freshman Cameron Lard. Lard, who arrived after one semester last season, was highly-rated as a high school prospect but didn’t play as a true freshman.

His teammate on Sparta Waste Services is Marial Shayok. Shayok, who is transferring from Virginia, will sit out the 2017-18 season due to transfer rules. The 6-foot-5 guard averaged 8.9 points per game for the Cavaliers as a junior.

Former Cyclone weighs in on Cap City

Naz Mitrou-Long, who wrapped up his Iowa State career in 2016-17, scored a league-record 72 points in a CCL game last summer. He won’t be playing in CCL this year while he trains for the NBA.

Mitrou-Long did, however, offer up a few players who could break his record.

“It’s possible,” Mitrou-Long said with a smile. “Donovan Jackson can score at a high rate. Lindell can definitely do that as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nick did it either. He has to be more aggressive this year if we want to be good.”

Mitrou-Long mentioned he doesn’t necessarily expect anyone will break the record.

“That’s nine points away from what Kobe [Bryant] dropped,” Mitrou-Long said. “I’m gonna leave it at that.”

While Iowa State fans won’t get to see as much of Lindell Wigginton this summer as they hoped, Mitrou-Long offered up his scouting report on the fellow Canadian.

“He’s an aggressive kid,” Mitrou-Long said. “He’s got a chip on his shoulder. In my opinion he got snubbed out of a lot of all-star games.

“He has some [former NBA MVP Derrick Rose] to his game as far as explosiveness. He’s a special talent and Cyclone Nation is gonna love him.”