Gov. Reynolds proclaims this week “Iowa Museum Week”

Jill O'Brien

June 5, Gov. Kim Reynolds proclaimed that this week, June 12-18, be “Iowa Museum Week.” A study done by the Institute of Museums and Library Service showed that approximately 850 million people visit museums every year. This number surpasses the total number of people who visit major league sporting events and theme parks combined. 

Iowa State University museums offer 80 educational programs to over 8,000 students and offers free admission to the three museums and one sculpture garden on campus. Here’s what they’re doing to celebrate Iowa Museum Week: 

Monday, June 12

“Red,” Christian Petersen Art Museum  

Curated from the museum’s permanent collection, this exhibit explores what the color red means to different academic disciplines on campus. The pieces in the exhibit are also paired with statements from ISU faculty to explain what red means to them. 

Tuesday, June 13

“Inuit Art Tuesday,” Brunnier Art Museum 

The addition of the Bohan Collection of Inuit Art has added to the university’s collection of Native American art. An area of Native American art that has been lacking here, this exhibit explores the Inuit reverence for nature and spiritual connection to land and animals. 

Wednesday, June 14

“Art Walk: Does Not Compute”

This exhibit will be a walking tour of three spaces and diverse computational pieces. At the end, see how, or if, they all add up. 

Thursday, June 15

“#TBT: Art Nouveau in the Decorative Arts”

Artists in the late 19th century were at an impasse with the quality of decorative arts of the time. Art Nouveau, which combined modernity with diversity, was the response to the issue. This exhibit shows both European and American art nouveau, with nature as its focus and inspiration. 

Friday, June 16

Farm House Friday & Free Lemonade 

Saturday, June 17

Art on Campus Saturday 

Sunday, June 18

Father’s Day at the Museum, Brunnier Art Museum 

Free tours of exhibits and crafts will be offered on campus this Father’s Day.