First-ever STEM InCYte Camp to begin Monday

Emily Clement

The first-ever STEM InCYte Camp will take place starting Monday.

As part of the camp, fifth and sixth grade students from two schools in Des Moines, King Elementary and Moulton Elementary, will get the opportunity to learn about virtual reality, build their own high-tech model cars and visit the Department of Transportation.

The camp provides a chance for students to learn new things without being evaluated or assessed.

“To have that type of excitement and enthusiasm among middle-level students is just amazing, to really want to learn more about STEM and to spend part of their summer doing so,” said Christa Jackson, assistant professor in the School of Education and co-host of the camp. “When they’re in an informal environment, they have an opportunity to really relax and be themselves and really explore.”

The camp will allow students to solve real-world problems in a more career-oriented setting. Students will also get to interact with Iowa State students and professionals who have careers or majors in STEM.

“We really want science, technology, engineering and math to be equal parts in solving a design challenge,” said Mollie Appelgate, assistant professor in the School of Education and co-host of the camp. “One of the things we’re really excited about in designing that curriculum is that technology isn’t just an add-on. It’s helping them solve the problem. It really is a true integration in a way that most kids have never experienced.”

The camp is free for the students involved and was made possible by a sub-grant from the National Science Foundation.

The partnership between Iowa State and the elementary schools is made possible through ISU 4U Promise and is aimed at promoting attending college in these specific schools.

The event will take place June 19-21.