Workspace classes for the month of May

Jill O'Brien

The Workspace in the Memorial Union offers a wide variety of crafts and classes during the summer, ranging from pottery painting to dance lessons. Check out what they’ve got going on during the rest of May here: 

Paint Your Own Pottery: Mug Night 

4-8 P.M., $4 for ISU students, $5 for general public 

Paint and fire your own mug at the first Paint Your Own Pottery night. 

Walk-in Argentine Tango

4-7 P.M., five punches for $35 on dance punch card for ISU students, five punches for $45 for general public

From 4-5 P.M., learn the basics of Argentine tango, and from 5-7 P.M., take the dance floor to work with different partners under the guidance of instructor Valerie Williams. Be sure to wear dancing shoes, smooth-soled shoes or socks to class. 

Friendship Bracelets Workshop

ISU students $14 ($12 tuition + $2 supply fee), public $24 ($22 tuition + $2 supply fee) 

Learn different weaving patterns to update friendship bracelets in time for summer. 

Watercolor Class

Section I: Tuesdays beginning May 23, 5-6:30pm for 6 weeks
Section II: Tuesdays beginning May 23, 7-8:30pm for 6 weeks

$65 for ISU students ($40 tuition + $25 supply fee), public $75 ($50 tuition + $25 supply fee)

This class will teach a variety of watercolor techniques from realistic to abstract in fun exercises, as well as experimentation with both traditional and liquid watercolors. For beginning painters or those with some experience wanting to expand their skills.

Glass Beads Class

Wednesdays beginning May 24, 6-8:30pm for 4 weeks 

$68 for ISU students ($40 tuition + $28 supply fee), public $78 ($50 tuition + $28 supply fee)

Create colorful glass beads by heating and shaping glass with a torch , and watch them evolve so they can be used in your next jewelry project. 

Metalsmithing Class

Thursdays beginning May 25, 6:30-9pm for 4 weeks 

$70 for ISU students ($46 tuition + $24 supply fee), public $80 ($56 tuition + $24 supply fee)

Participants will complete one or two projects in copper, ranging from pendants to earrings to bangle bracelets as just a few of the possibilities. 

Wheel Pottery Class

Thursdays beginning May 25, 4:15-6:45pm for 8 weeks 

$105 for ISU students ($70 tuition + $35 supply fee), $115 for the public ($80 tuition + $35 supply fee)

Start with centering clay and pulling cylinders, the building blocks to throwing on the wheel. Move on to forming bowls, mugs, vases and plates, and learn handle-pulling, glazing and finishing techniques. Open to all people of all skill levels!

Paint Your Own Pottery: Snack Bowl Night

Friday, May 26 from 4-8pm

$4 for ISU and $5 for public

Paint bowls for every snack size, from small dishes to extra-large bowl. We will show you the basics of painting your piece and fire it within a week. 

Drop in Mat Cutting Workshop

$20 for ISU students ($15 tuition + $5 supply fee), public $30 ($25 tuition + $5 supply fee)

Wednesday, May 31 from 6-8:30pm

Learn to size mats, cut straight and beveled edges, and hinge-mount artwork with our mat cutter. Bring an art piece around 5 x 7 with you to class.