Cyclone Duo Receives Honors

Iowa State freshman Sami Williams is met at home plate by her team after hitting a home run in her first at bat against Oklahoma State on Saturday, April 15. 

Trevor Holbrook

Iowa State’s late-season surge was sparked immensely by the contributions of freshman second baseman Sami Williams and junior outfielder Kelsey McFarland.

Those contributions were rewarded with National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) All-Midwest First Team honors for Williams and McFarland. Williams is the first Cyclone freshman to receive this honor.

The NFCA has 10 regions that give the honors to first, second and third-team selections. The NFCA member coaches voted for the finalists.

McFarland and Williams are now eligible for the All-American nominations.

Williams had a monster freshman campaign, leading the Cyclones in slugging percentage (.615), home runs (8) and RBIs (31). Williams broke the single-season school record for doubles with 20, finishing tied for fourth nationally and first among freshmen.

The California native also stacked up well against the rest of the Big 12. She finished the season in seventh place for batting average (.363).

Williams was also nominated as one of the 25 finalists for NFCA Freshman of the Year after her breakout season.

McFarland had an exceptional season of her own, as well. She finished the season with a .345 batting average, 25 RBIs, 12 doubles and four home runs.

McFarland had an outstanding performance this year against Ball State. The slugger led the Cyclones to a 7-4 victory after going 4-for-4 with a double and a home run.