Schaffhausen: Texting can kill

A woman texts while driving.

Courtesy of Getty Images

A woman texts while driving.

In our tech-savvy world it’s socially acceptable to be on your phone just about anywhere you go. Whether it be at your kid’s sporting event, in line at the grocery store or even on a walk with your dog we just can’t seem to break the inexplicable bond between man and phone.

At times it’s understandable – our world is revolving more and more around e-commerce and electronic communication. But where do we draw the line?

Aside from not spoiling 7 year-olds with iPhones and following our doctor’s recommended daily dosage of electronic use, we can start with texting and driving.

According to CSG Capitol research, 3,147 lives were taken in 2014 from distracted drivers. Imagine that. Three thousand sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, you name it, will never get a second shot at life because some dingbat chose to send a text or attempted to make a phone call while on the road.

Nobody likes to grieve or plan their relative’s funeral, especially when what is being grieved could have been avoided with some rudimentary self-control.

Unfortunately, traffic laws regarding cell phone usage vary from state to state. In other words, it’s not just one big “no no” across the board. Even though 46 states have banned texting altogether, cell phone usage is either not regulated at all or only restricted in the remaining four states of Montana, Arizona, Texas and Missouri.

Not to mention all of the people who choose to break the law on a daily basis.

Though we may not give it much thought every waking moment of our lives, it’s scary as hell to ask ourselves “What if that was my son? What if that was my sibling? What if that was me?”

Listen to me when I say it’s not worth the risk.

During my senior year of high school, student council members performed a program called Arrive Alive with the help of our local policemen, firemen, towing services, Allina Health and Miller Funeral Home services. In a collaborative effort to inform high school students of the potential risks of distracted and drunk driving, the team set up a realistic scene on our football field using real props and graphic scenarios.

Two cars from recent crashes were used along with two body bags, a hearse, first responders, stretchers, police cars, fire trucks, ambulances and even a helicopter. The only thing fake was the blood on the shirts of the student council members performing.

The following day, there was a fake funeral in our gymnasium for the two members that “died” in the crash. Unfortunately for me, those two girls were my best friend and future roommate. Their parents gave eulogies, our Dean of Students spoke and the first responders informed each of us of the dangers of such careless behavior.

I remember heave crying when my best friend’s mom stood up to speak. She mentioned me and how much I meant to her daughter and family. My boyfriend at the time had to walk across the aisle to grab me a box of tissues and calm me down.

You see, texting can kill. I went to maybe three classes the day of Arrive Alive. And that wasn’t even real life. If you don’t want to be labeled a killer, for the love of God just put your phone down.

Don’t put yourself in the position to end someone’s life, and don’t put yourself in a position to simultaneously ruin your own either. For those of you who do follow the rules – thank you. You make this world a better place.