Four greek chapters investigated, charged by Student Conduct

The Campanile in November, taken from the southeast.

Sarah Muller

Editor’s note: This article was updated on April 12 to include an interview with Student Conduct, a Sigma Pi member and Greek Affairs’ response. 

Sigma Pi has been placed on interim suspension of organizational privileges, and three other greek chapters have been put on various probations, according to Student Conduct’s website.

The three additional chapters include Chi Omega, Phi Kappa Theta and Alpha Phi. All three were charged with misuse of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances and a violation of conditions of regulation.

Violation of recognitions means that the organization has failed to meet the conditions in order to be an organization established by the university.

According to the Student Conduct website, Sigma Pi’s interim suspension of organizational privileges means that the “organization be immediately denied university privileges and be excluded from activities on campus when the campus organization’s continued activity on campus may constitute a significant danger to safety, property or campus welfare.” 

“We likely do not do an interim suspension [of organizational privileges] unless there is enough evidence to charge,” Sara Kellogg, director of Student Conduct, said.

The organization will then have to appear for a hearing in front of the Dean of Students and that will declare whether more charges should be investigated or others should be dropped, which calls for “modification.” 

Because the website claims Sigma Pi has been “modified,” Kellogg believes the fraternity has already appeared in front of the Dean of Students. Now, the investigation will continue before the fraternity is filed with disciplinary charges.

Because the label was added on March 31, before Greek Week, Sigma Pi was not allowed to participate in a few of the Greek Week activities. But some of the “modified” terms allowed the fraternity to participate in remaining activities after its hearing on March 31.

“We only missed Treds and basketball, which were Wednesday and Thursday,” said Erik Kreissler, senior in management, Sigma Pi member and Greek Week co-chair. “We were able to do everything else.” 

The website also explains that the organization will be put through a hearing before the dean of students in which “the university will show reasons why the interim suspension is warranted, and the organization shall have the opportunity to show why interim suspension is not warranted.”

However, Sigma Pi was recently released from conduct and social host probation at the end of the fall 2016 semester for misuse of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances, public disorder, endangerment and violation of conditions of recognition.

Sigma Pi has not responded to an email sent Monday afternoon.

Chi Omega was added to the Student Conduct’s website list on March 22. The chapter must have conduct and social host probation until Aug. 21. It must have a comprehensive review of risk management policies and procedures with additional training for members by Aug. 31. Chi Omega must also have a program focused on risk prevention and alcohol use during the fall semester.

“We are only on probation until the end of the semester, so there is not much to talk about there,” Sydney Borys, president of Chi Omega and sophomore in kinesiology and health, said in an email to the Daily. “The probation we are on is only short term and does not, in any way, reflect the women of Chi Omega and all the amazing accomplishments we’ve had this year.”

Phi Kappa Theta was added to the list on March 9 for misuse of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances and a violation of conditions of recognition.

The fraternity is under conduct and social host probation through Aug. 21. It will need a complete review of its event management and risk management policies and procedures that are due by the end of the fall semester. An alcohol awareness workshop is also expected to be offered to members during the spring and fall semesters.

“The men of Phi Kappa Theta acknowledge that we have violated University and IFC policy, and we are taking these sanctions as an opportunity to improve our chapter,” Davis Arbogast, president of Phi Kappa Theta and senior in chemical engineering, said in an email. “This includes a complete revision of Risk Management policies within our chapter, a reevaluation of how we are living our chapter’s values in our daily lives, and a commitment to building a stronger relationship with both the University and the Interfraternity Council.”

Alpha Phi was added to the conduct list on March 4 for misuse of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances and violation of conditions of recognition.

The sorority will be under conduct and social host probation through Aug. 21. It will have comprehensive reviews of social contracts for members and risk management policies and procedures completed by Aug. 31. A “mandatory” alcohol and risk management workshop has to be completed by the end of this semester.

Alpha Phi has not responded to an email sent Monday afternoon.

Billy Boulden, director of Greek Affairs, declared on Wednesday afternoon that Greek Affairs could not comment on the cases and all questions had to be redirected to Student Conduct.

Sara Kellogg, director of Student Conduct, said they can not speak on the cases because Sigma Pi is still under investigation and they can only discuss the disciplinary charges of the three chapters.

Eight greek chapters have now been put on some type of disciplinary action since the beginning of the school year. Four of them were reported in the fall of 2016. Read more about those cases here.

In November, Delta Tau Delta was charged with hazing, putting it on conduct violation until May 7. Delta Tau Delta also could not participate in spring recruitment.

Adelante was charged with misuse of alcoholic beverage and controlled substances, violation of conditions of recognition and violation of any local, state or federal law on Nov. 21, 2016. It is on conduct and social host probation until May 7.

Pi Kappa Alpha had two charges of misuse of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances, two charges of violating of conditions of recognition and one charge of violating any local, state or federal law. It deferred suspension to Jan. 9 and will serve conduct and social host probation until Aug. 21.

Kappa Sigma was charged Sept. 7, 2016 and put on conduct and social host probation until Jan. 9. It had misuse of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances, disruption of rights, theft or damage to property or services and violation of conditions of recognition.