Top five stories from the weekend

Alexandra Kelly/Iowa State Daily

A group of boys perform during Greek Busters Lip Sync performance. Lip Sync was held Friday night in Stephens Auditorium where each Greek pairing showcased their Lip Sync performances for the audience and judges.   

Emily Clement

Here are the top five stories from the weekend:

1. Tuition increase proposed for several fields of study – Agronomy, global resource systems and horticulture students received an email on Thursday regarding a proposed tuition increase for their specific majors. The Board of Regents is proposing a tuition increase that would be phased over three years. Juniors and seniors would ultimately pay an additional $1,600 more than underclassman. In an update on Friday, it was noted that a similar email was also sent to students within the department of food science and human nutrition.

2. Lip Sync takes place during Greek Week – After 65 years, people still made their way into Stephens Auditorium to watch the greek pairings perform their skit as part of Lip Sync and Greek Week on Friday night. The pairings had to lip sync to a skit with different songs and a plot. There were also karaoke performances in between the Lip Sync skits. About 20 different pairings performed between Lip Sync skits and karaoke.

3. Polar Bear Plunge raises more than $350,000 – Also a part of Greek Week, the Polar Bear Plunge took place, and participants raised more than $350,000 before the event had begun Saturday afternoon. The money raised by the greek community will go to the Special Olympics. Points for Greek Week were also up for grabs as the team that raised the most money received 120 points and the Golden Plunger Award.

4. Haylee Young advances to NCAA gymnastics National Championship – Although the team’s season has come to an end, Haylee Young will see a few more weeks as she prepares to compete in the NCAA National Championship. Young will compete in St. Louis on April 14 and 15.

5. Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Student Conference takes place – The second annual Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Student Conference took place Saturday. There were multiple student-led presentations based on the topics of women and gender in society. The students presented academic research and creative works. Rekha Basu, opinion columnist for the Des Moines Register, was the keynote speaker at the conference.