Symphonic Band to give Metamorphic performance on campus

Maddie Leopardo/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State University Symphony Orchestra Conductor Jacob Harrison interacts with the audience during the narrated program at Stephens Auditorium on Feb. 28. The program, part of the Children’s Matinee concert series, allowed young audiences to feel the excitement of a full symphony orchestra. 

Alison Soelberg

Iowa State’s own Symphonic Band will be performing tonight in the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall. The group is directed by Dr. Steven Smyth, the first alumni to ever hold the Associate Director of Band title at the University. For the past six years he has been directing the Symphonic Band, which is a second-level band, along with the Cyclone Marching Band and the pep band.

“This year’s symphonic band is by far the best band I have ever had,” Smyth said. “They are passionate and enthusiastic about making music.”

The Symphonic Band is one of four concert bands at Iowa State. They are an auditioned group of which any student can be a member, but only the best from the auditions are given a spot.

This will be the second, and final, concert of the semester for the Symphonic Band. The theme for tonight, and the general title of the concert, is Metamorphosis.

“It is music of loss and beginnings and change and hope,” Smyth said. “The old pieces are classic and then we are playing two new pieces.”

The conductor of one of their pieces will be attending the concert. Dr. Smyth and the band are excited to perform for the creator of the piece. Their final piece is the accompaniment for a french cartoon.

Smyth really wants to influence the audience with the music choices he has made and with the performance that the band will give.

“It is my hope that [the audience will] gain a little bit of musical understanding and at the same time I hope that they really enjoy it,” Smyth said.

Based simply on the passion that the band has when they perform, the audience is sure to be affected in a positive manner. With the emotion evoking choice of songs that the band will be performing, each audience member will have a unique experience.

“I hope that [the audience] can leave humming a couple of our pieces, and then I hope a couple of our pieces really challenge their ears a little,” Smyth said.

The Symphonic Band is performing at 7:30pm tonight in the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall for prices of $3 for students and $5 for adults.