Top 5 stories from the weekend

Cancer survivors were honored during the opening ceremony, then kicked off the event by taking their victory lap. Relay for Life was held in Lied Recreational Facility on Friday at 7 p.m.

Emily Clement

Here are the top 5 stories from the weekend:

1. Iowa State spring football game takes place at Jack Trice Stadium – The spring football game took place at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The offense and defense scrimmaged against each other and attempted to show off what they have been working on since the last season ended. Joel Lanning, who played middle linebacker, capped off the game with an interception. Not only did a football game take place, but a proposal as well. Kyle Starcevich, senior and Iowa State football player, proposed to his girlfriend of five years, Tori Monroe, as the whole team gathered around them.

2. The Fashion Show 2017 takes place at Stephens Auditorium – The Fashion Show 2017 took place Saturday evening at Stephens Auditorium. “Altered Aspects” was the theme of the show. The show not only featured student designers but also guest designer Abasi Rosborough. Many models walked the runway to showcase the designers’ work. The show ended with a recap of all the models and garments as well as recognition of everyone involved in the show. Awards and scholarships were also awarded.

3. Greek Councils release letter of discontent after Vespers event – The Greek Councils, Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) and National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), released a letter of discontent on Friday after the Vespers Greek award ceremony event last Sunday. It was said that members of the greek community booed, mocked and made racial slurs toward the MGC and NPHC as they received their awards. The letter of discontent mentioned the purpose of Vespers; rehashed the booing, mocking and racial slurs; addressed the absence of public apology; etc.

4. NROTC cancels event in response to explicit photos – Iowa State’s NROTC cancelled its dining-in event Saturday after news that several midshipmen posted inappropriate photos on Facebook. Scott Curtis, commanding officer of Iowa State’s NROTC, wrote an email to the unit explaining that his goal is to protect the unit to the maximum extent possible considering the current media situation. Because of that, Curtis decided that the unit would not hold the dining-in event.

5. Students protest prison labor and discrimination – More than 40 students gathered around Central Campus on Friday to protest Iowa State’s use of prison labor to acquire furniture. ISU Student Action organized the protest based on the fact that the prisoners may only be paid 15 cents per hour, as well as the general use of the prisoners to build furniture. As the protest went on, protesters called ISU’s Board of Regents in order to voice their disdain for present policies.