Potential nursing program would add up to 250 nursing students

Photographer: Alec J Giljohann

The Thielen Student Health Center is one of many resources on campus available to students. 

Talon Delaney

Iowa State hopes to expand its curriculum by adding a nursing program. If approved, the program hopes to eventually accommodate 50 nursing students in fall 2018, and as many as 250 students in the following terms. 

Outlook for the program is promising, but in the end, the Board of Regents will have to give the project the green light. Iowa State expects final voting rounds regarding the nursing program’s status to commence in August. 

Dr. Virginia Wangerin, an assistant clinical professor of nursing, was chosen to lead the program. She has a master’s degree in nursing from Drake University, a PhD in higher education from ISU, and multiple years of nurse-education experience.

Wangerin discussed Iowa State’s academics, or lack there of, that lead to health careers like nursing, medical and physical therapy programs.

“Iowa State hasn’t focused on direct health careers … [which are] a large part of the economy,” Wangerin said.

According to Wangerin, the nursing program offers only benefits to the Ames and the surrounding area. More baccalaureate prepared nurses typically means “better health for the community.”

Ideas began to solidify during the fall 2016 semester, when President Steven Leath met with Rob Denson, president of DMACC. DMACC offers its own nursing program, and Iowa State expects to receive students from DMACC who wish to advance their nursing education.

“Nursing students are expected to continue their education and get a baccalaureate degree,” Wangerin said. “Right now, there isn’t anywhere nearby that can satisfy that demand.”

DMACC nursing students can only earn associate’s degrees. Students looking for a four-year program typically travel to the University of Iowa to expand their academic nursing career at public colleges.

Support for the nursing program is strong, Wangerin said. Mary Greeley Medical Center, Story County Medical Center, Boone County Hospital and the Thielen Student Health Center voiced a desire to have nurses educated on campus.

Although plans are still at an early stage, Wangerin has reported positive feedback, saying the program might become more popular than what was anticipated. Iowa State is awaiting approval from the Board of Regents and the Board of Nursing to implement the program.

“The program is not being widely discussed or marketed yet, but I’m getting calls almost every day from people who want to come here,” Wangerin said. “People in the area get excited when they hear they may be able to do their nursing in Ames.”

Iowa State already has renowned research programs in dietetics and nutrition sciences. The nursing program will take advantages of these resources to better prepare nurses to improve the quality of life of patients and care for the chronically ill.

“We’re not going to have large health programs [at Iowa State],” Wangerin said. “We don’t have the clinical resources to do that, nor would it make sense.”

The potential nursing program will offer opportunities to local aspiring nurses. The resources available at Iowa State will give nurses an added academic degree and opportunity to advance their education. It is expected to be a two-year program.