African Night fills Ames City Auditorium

Ryan Bretoi/Iowa State Daily

The women of the West African Dance Team perform during African Night in the Ames City Auditorium on April 22. 

Talon Delaney

About 400 people visited the Ames City Auditorium on Saturday for a night of African dance, culture and celebration.

The African Students Association (ASA) organized the event and honored many of its members throughout the night.

The evening began with music and poetry and featured many different dances. Audience members even took the stage for a dance off.

Natalie Jouzi played a traditional piece on a flute made of sugar cane before Aaron Hudgins recited an original poem that brought to life the deep love he feels for Africa, “a home he’s never seen,” and the pain for the continent’s hardships.

“My favorite part was the dances,” Taylor Cummings, sophomore in criminal justice, said.

The night included performances from the East and West African Dance Teams, as well as the Congolese Dance Team.

Each team elicited cheers from the audience and performed multiple songs.

The audience then enjoyed an original play written by Mumbi Kasumba. It featured protagonist Lillian, a native African returning home from her American college tenure and her struggle to reconnect with her roots.

Dami Olatunde, better known by his stage name Aphrican Ape, hosted the event. Olatunde kept the audience excited for each performer, including Andrew Manu, professor of agronomy at Iowa State.

Manu recounted his life’s journey from a small village in Ghana and encouraged students to “bring hope where there is hopelessness.” He also said George Washington Carver is one of his strongest inspirations.

He urged students to stay strong in the face of adversity and to take advantage of their opportunities at Iowa State.

“For us Africans, failure is not an option,” he told the audience.

Manu explained that hardships are to be expected, especially where there are racial stigmas. He told students that he believed in them and that “if Manu did it, you can do it too!”

ASA President Reem Alkhalil presented awards for outstanding student participation in the association. Multiple accolades were presented to those who showed dedication to ASA.

The ASA also presented a short film for the audience. It showed members of ASA talking about how they adjusted to life in the United States.

Alkhalil later awarded scholarships to ASA members before honoring the association’s graduating seniors, who took the stage adorned in sashes of their native countries’ flags.

The night ended with a fashion show. The finale featured authentic styles from Algeria, Egypt, Ethiopia and many other African countries.