Non-traditional students bring diversity to Iowa State

Jack MacDonald/Iowa State Daily

Jeffrey Henry, a senior in psychology from California, will be getting his degree this May. Last August, Henry received his kinesiology degree. 

Rachel Ori

When most people picture a college student, youths are typically the first to come to mind. However, the motivation to learn doesn’t have an age limit.

In the fall of 2016, Iowa State saw over 1,800 transfer students on campus. These students range from those coming from various community colleges, to older students who are going to school for the first time in years.

Tim Howard, a resident of Ankeny, is a senior at Iowa State studying marketing.

Along with being a full-time student, he is a husband and father of three.

Howard’s education journey took off after he joined the military in 1986. Two years after completing his duty, he obtained his Associates Degree from Des Moines Area Community College. From there, he attended Drake University, but left the university before graduating.

“I always told myself I would go back to school,” Howard said.

After his former company told him that he needed to obtain a four-year degree, he went back to DMACC in Carol, where he found that he needed to re-take more classes than anticipated.

Despite the work load, Howard was able to get involved on campus and take advantage of the opportunities that DMACC presented to him.

Howard served as the President of Phi Theta Kappa, the honor society on campus.

After his years of hard work at the community college level, Howard was awarded the Coca Cola scholarship, which gave him a full ride to Iowa State.

Now, as he nears graduation, Howard said that his favorite part of his journey has been interacting with fellow students of all ages.

“Interacting with the different generations, and seeing how they think and do things so differently, is great,” he said.

“I’m at the age now where I can share what I know with them, and they can help me with technology.”

As for advice for younger students, Howard said that “showing up for class and participating in the discussions” is key.

For older students, he said that while it’s “hard to start up again,” getting your degree is “worth the sacrifices.”

“Always learn, and experience new things, college or not,” he said.

Outside of students, Howard said that he’s had a great experience with professors at Iowa State.

“Everyone here wants you to succeed,” he said.

While students such as Howard have been able to succeed, others have a bumpier ride on their way to Iowa State.

Dan Rice, Outreach Advisor and Transfer Relations Coordinator for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said that transfer students can run into difficulties.

“Transferring is not an exact science,” he said.

Iowa State offers what is called a Transfer Checklist for those looking to transfer to Iowa State from any Iowa community college. Listed by major, the different checklists compare courses from the two-year college to the equivalent course at Iowa State, and tell how the credits match up.

Rice suggested that transferring students look at not only this checklist, but also directly ask two questions before coming to a four-year university.

“Asking, ‘do you accept this credit,’ and ‘how does this credit apply’ is very important,” he said.

With the LAS college holding more than half of the majors at Iowa State, it’s not unusual to find a mix of students with different backgrounds in any given classroom.

Despite the difficulties that they could face, transfer students offer different experiences and perspectives that other more traditional students hadn’t considered.

“Having [non-traditional students] adds to the richness of the student body and the education environment,” he said. “They come in with maturity.”

With all students facing transition periods, Rice said that non-traditional students tend to face the largest obstacles.

“They have a learning curve right away, having to learn a new campus and environment all at once,” he said.

Jeff Henry, senior in psychology, echoed statements made by Howard. 

A transfer student, Henry began at Iowa State in 2013. 

“I have learned so much here through all the different classes,” he said. “Even in classes I didn’t like, it still made me go, ‘Oh, I didn’t know that.'” 

Henry’s education journey began in California. Originally a working actor, Henry appeared on shows such as CSI New York. 

While on set one day, Henry heard members of the crew talking about where they went to college, with all the schools listed being in the West and Midwest region. 

This interaction, along with inspiration from his mother, motivated Henry to go back to school. 

Starting at a community college in California named El Camino, Henry worked his way toward his degree in kinesiology and health. 

After obtaining three two-year degrees at Des Moines Area Community College, Henry obtained his degree in kinesiology and health from Iowa State in August 2016. Henry will obtain his degree in psychology this summer. 

Henry credits wresting coach Kevin Jackson with encouragement to come to Iowa State. 

“When he told me Iowa, I thought ‘Why?'”, Henry said. “But now that I’ve been here, I love it.”

Upon his arrival to campus, Henry tried out for the wrestling team. Because of his age, he was turned down, but was told he should consider club wrestling.

Henry took this suggestion, and joined the club wrestling team, where he found a community he belonged on campus.

“It helped being around a team,” Henry said about his transition to Iowa State.

Entering home and away tournaments, Henry won his age bracket at nationals at the University of Northern Iowa three times.

Henry said he pulled inspiration from him teammates, telling of workouts that would end in group hugs and positive words.

Echoing statements made by Howard, Henry said that he enjoys interacting with the younger students in his classes.

“You can’t be afraid to talk to and ask the younger students for help,” he said.

Learning computer skills is another highlight from Iowa State that Henry will take with him.

“Anyone who isn’t in college right now is behind on the knowledge that comes with working on computers,” he said.

Asked if he had any advice for other older students, Henry said, “Don’t get frustrated, and hang in there.”

“Do it for yourself and for your parents,” he said.