Alternatives to medication for treating depression include excercise

Dineh Bohan/Iowa State Daily

Clinical psychologist, Dr. James Blumenthal, from Duke University Medical Center located in North Carolina, presents his research, Using Exercise to Treat Depression, to students and community members in 1148 Gerdin Business Building March 2.

Alisha James

One Iowa State guest speaker believes there may be a link between exercise and improvements in mental illness, saying, “Exercise is good not just for the body, but for the mind.”

James Blumenthal, clinical psychologist at the Duke University Medical Center, discussed the relationship of exercise and physical activity to mental health.

Blumenthal explained that people who aren’t physically active aren’t only at risk for a variety of diseases, including diabetes and hypertension, but multiple mental health disorders as well. Those disorders could range from clinical depression to dementia.

Panteleimon Ekkekakis, professor of kinesiology, invited Blumenthal to present the third of four lectures in the 2016-17 Helen LeBaron Hilton Endowed Chair lecture series.

“We wanted to cover mortality, the risk of dying is important, then some major issues related to health,” Ekkekakis said. “We had somebody talk about the brain, somebody talk about the muscles and the bones, and then we needed somebody to come in and talk about mental health. Professor Blumenthal is the world’s leading expert on the subject so we were very fortunate to get him here.”

Blumenthal explained that the topic is important because in the last century, the leading cause of death shifted from acute illness and infection to chronic illness.

“Chronic disease accounts for 7 out of 10 deaths in the U.S.,” Blumenthal said. “It accounts for 75 percent of the nation’s health care spending. Mental health and substance abuse are among America’s most chronic illnesses.”

A diagnosis of depression requires at least five of these nine symptoms, including depressed mood or irritability, decreased interest or pleasure in most activities, significant weight change, change in sleep and change in activity. The only way to officially diagnose it is by a psychiatric interview.

Blumenthal provided evidence that prescribing exercise as a form of treatment may be a successful alternative for patients with depression. The research he has done examines the effects of lifestyle behaviors like exercise on patients with cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairments and major depression.

Exercise improves depressive symptoms of people with the diagnosis of depression, but the results are only moderate and not statistically significant. The studies showed that physical activity was beneficial, especially as an alternative for those who are opposed to medication.

An audience member asked if there is a relationship between time and intensity with exercising.

Blumenthal said there isn’t a great correlation, but frequency is more important than the intensity of the physical activity. The recommended amount of time for exercising is about 150 minutes per week.

Another member of the audience asked if individuals already taking medication for depression should stop if they are going to try exercise as a treatment.

“Begin an exercise program with taking the medication,” Blumenthal said. “If after about six to eight weeks you feel better, then talk to your doctor and see what they suggest.”

The most important message Ekkekakis hoped the audience would receive was for people struggling with mild or moderate symptoms for depression to try treatments other than medication, such as physical activity. He described it as safe, inexpensive and effective.