Rec Services to open first pool party

Kylie Kost/Iowa State Daily

ISU Recreation Services offers aquatic classes at the State Gym pool every week.

Amanda Wymore

Students can have a party in the pool and try out different water workouts when Iowa State Recreation Services opens its first Spring Pool Party at 6 p.m. Thursday in the State Gym Pool.

“Working out in the water can be as intense as you want it to be,” Jennifer Pollard, marketing coordinator for Rec Services, said. “This is a low-impact workout. If you want a great workout but may be recovering from an injury or want less impact on your joints, aqua classes are a great option.”

Four trained Rec Services instructors will teach the group workout. It will be arranged in a circuit, including four 15-minute stations with five-minute breaks in between each station.

“Each station in the circuit will be in a different part of the pool, such as the vortex, shallow end, deep end and the hot tub,” Pollard said. “We want to highlight a different type of workout for the participants. All participants can expect to get a good workout and work their muscles.”

The workout will be accompanied by an emcee and music to keep participants motivated. A photo booth will also be at the event to capture the fun.

Prizes will be given away at the event, including T-shirts, beach towels, beach balls, water squirters and more items to use while participants are in the pool. 

“Our goal is to get folks in the water and to have fun,” Pollard said. “We don’t have a lot of participants in our aqua classes, and we feel that there is a stigma about them. Students may associate someone older going to aqua classes.”

Pollard suggests participants wear a swimsuit or clothes they are comfortable wearing in the pool, their student ID and “a willingness to try something new.” State Gym will provide towels for participants.

The event is a twist on last semester’s Insanity Live! launch party. At the event, instructors led more than 200 participants — including Cy — through the newest High Intensity Interval Workout class.

For more information on the event, email Pollard at [email protected]