Iowa State finishes regular season with season high

Emily Blobaum/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State freshman Casandra Diaz smiles after finishing her beam routine during the Cyclones’ final home meet of the season Feb. 17. 

Austin Anderson

The Iowa State gymnastics team saved its best score for the final meet of the season.

The Cyclones suffered a 197.100-196.600 loss on the road Friday night against No. 6 Alabama, but the Cyclones turned in its best performance of the year by a significant amount.

The meet’s first three events started similarly to last weekend’s meet against Iowa. Iowa State was dominate, recording season highs on vault and uneven bars.

The difference between the two meets was the Cyclones were able to hold it together on the final event and produce a strong performance on the balance beam.

Iowa State started on the uneven bars with all six performers recording scores of 9.825 or above, including a 9.850 from sophomore M.J. Johnson, her career high. The Cyclones trailed 49.500-49.200 after the first rotation, despite the Cyclone’s season high on the event.

The second event resulted in the second season high for Iowa State. Sophomore Sidney Converse participated in the vault for the first time this season as she fights back from an off season ankle injury.

She picked up right where she left off from last year with a new career high 9.850. Junior Haylee Young joined Converse with a career high of her own on vault, a 9.900.

At the midway point, the Cyclones trailed narrowly 98.525-98.450.

Going into the final rotation, the Cyclones had a 147.600-147.450 lead over the No. 6 team in the country after a 49.150 performance on the floor exercise.

The Cyclones were ultimately unable to hold on after a 49.000 on the balance beam but this meet was a victory for the Cyclones everywhere except the scoreboard.

Young finished with the highest all-around score in the meet and the impressive 196.600 score blew away the Cyclones previous score of 196.150

Iowa State will be back in action as the post season begins next weekend in Texas at the Big 12 championships.