Catch up on news you missed over the weekend

Senior night at the Ames Ice Arena for Cyclone Hockey. Seniors Clayton Janecke, Chase Rey, Eero Helanto, Dalton Kaake, and Alex Grupe were all recognized in between the 1st and 2nd period for all their accomplishments over the past four years.

Emily Clement

Here are some of the big news stories that you may have missed over the weekend:

Friday – 3/3

Saturday – 3/4

• Spirit of American rally takes place at Iowa State Capitol – People gathered at the Iowa State Capitol and rallied to show support for their president. People wore their “Make America Great Again” hats and carried signs depicting similar words. The rally lasted about an hour and featured multiple speakers who have supported Trump throughout his campaign.
  • Cyclone gymnastics falls at Iowa – The women experienced Deja Vu when they led through the final rotation but lost that lead at the very end. The Hawkeyes grabbed the win with a total of 49.525 points.
  • No. 5 Cyclone Hockey gets win over No. 16 Midland – Senior night was the perfect night to pull out a win. Cyclone Hockey defended its home court with a 6-0 win against Midland.
  • Review of the movie “Logan” – Reporter Alexander Gray gives a review of the new movie “Logan” and compares it to the recent movie “Deadpool.” Gray gives his opinion on the movie and explains that the movie definitely deserves its R rating with its brutal action.
  • Kaleidoquiz celebrates 50 years – 88.5 KURE, the student-produced Ames radio station, celebrated its 50th year of Kaleidoquiz by sending students on random adventures across campus. Kaleidoquiz provides students with activities and trivia.
  • One wrestler punches ticket to NCAA Championships – The Cyclones originally had eight guys still in play to get a spot in the championships. Marcus Harrington is the lone wrestler who was able to secure his spot in the NCAA Championships that began Sunday.
  • Women’s basketball loses in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament – The women traveled to Oklahoma City to play in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament against Kansas State on Saturday afternoon. The women had a strong lead in the beginning of the first half, but the Wildcats ultimately came back and knocked the Cyclones out of the tournament. The Iowa State women now await their postseason fate.