Lagging transparency in Auburn presidential selection process

Steven Leath addresses the board of trustees after being elected in the Student Center Ballroom on Monday, March 20, 2017, in Auburn, Ala. Leath is former president of Iowa State University.

Emily Hammer

With Iowa State President Steven Leath leaving at the end of the semester to be president of Auburn University, many are hoping to see transparency in the hiring process at Iowa State.

The lack of transparency during Auburn’s hiring process has drawn criticism from the community.

When retiring Auburn President Jay Gogue was selected in 2007, there were three finalists, but only Gogue wanted to be identified. He was also the only one to meet with the public during the process.

Ten years later, none of the finalists during Auburn’s decision to replace Gogue were announced, meaning they did not meet with the community.

Only one public forum was held at the beginning of the process for the search committee to learn what constituents wanted in a new president. 

Leath’s interest and finalist standing for the president position at Auburn was not suggested until Saturday, two days before he was announced as being selected by its board of trustees on Monday. 

Auburn only announced on Thursday, four days in advance, that it would announce the new president on Monday.

Prior to Monday, none of the administration at Auburn would confirm his interest. Per Auburn policy, finalists who are presidents at other universities would not be announced until a new president is selected.

In Iowa State’s search for a new president in 2011, the process was more transparent and accessible.

Two public forums were offered, each featuring one of the two applicants for the position. Only days after speaking with faculty and students, Leath was announced as president.

Recently during Leath’s presidency, a call for transparency has grown, especially after his use of university-owned airplanes was revealed. Many hope that the hiring process to replace Leath will reflect these calls.

In his letter to the university, Leath said he will be working with the regents to find an interim president and begin looking for a permanent president. During this time, he will continue to update the university on these changes.

According to a press release on its website regarding the presidential search, the university focused on looking for “a visionary leader who has impeccable integrity, exemplary interpersonal and communication skills and a passion for educating students and preparing them for successful and productive lives.

“Trustee Raymond Harbert, who chaired the presidential search committee, described today as “a great day for Auburn,” according to Auburn’s Newsroom.

“Dr. Leath is a strategic leader who will work alongside the campus community and alumni to elevate Auburn to the next level in instruction, research and outreach,” he said to them.

Larry Teeter, professor of forest economics, served on the presidential search committee. 

“We found an accomplished leader through an inclusive search process with all campus constituencies represented,” Teeter said, according to Auburn’s Newsroom.