Cyclone’s Men’s golf team rally up four spots after rough start.

Sophomore golfer Nick Voke lines up a putt at practice on April 14. At the 2015 Gopher Invitational, Voke led the ISU men’s golf team by tying for 3rd place out of 81 golfers.

Ivan Vega

The Iowa State’s Men’s golf team found itself in 11th place (305-292) at the end of the first two rounds of competition in the General Hackler Championship in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

The day started with the Cyclones dead last at the 15th spot, but managed to stay composed and rallied up four spots.

Currently, senior Nick Voke (78-69) and freshman Tripp Kinney are the highest placing Cyclones in the individual leaderboard. Both are tied at 28th, two ahead of the par.

Voke managed to score five birdies and two eagles on the day in the second round after failing to stay even in the first round.

Kinney ended even after seven holes in the second round after a failing to stay in par for the first round.

Redshirt junior Denzel Ieremia (72-77) is currently tied for 45th and is the only Cyclone after two rounds of competition even with the par.

Senior Ruben Sondjaja (81-73) tied for the 67th and freshman Sam Vincent (82-79) is currently 80th after the end of the first day of competition.

“[I’m] proud of how we battled back this afternoon after a very poor start” Tank said after being asked about the team’s performance.

However the weather in Myrtle Beach did not allow for the second day of competition to occur. 

Thus, the first two round’s results are final for the competition.

No.15 Wake Forest scored 561 (279-282) and was the the tournament’s champion, 10 strokes ahead of second place No.14 Kent State.

The Cyclones final tally was enough to beat No. 3 Virginia and No. 46 NC State in this heavily packed tournament among other top-50 teams