Suchan settles into interim registrar role

ISD

ISD

Nik Heftman

Jennifer Suchan, senior associate registrar at Iowa State, has been named interim registrar as of Monday, succeeding Laura Doering, who was named associate vice president for enrollment management and student success in February.

Doering has served as registrar since 2012. Her transition from the office of the registrar to the office of the senior vice president for student affairs was made official Monday.

As associate vice president for enrollment management and student success, Doering will oversee the admissions, student financial aid and registrar offices, and the enrollment research team, learning communities, student support services programs and Educational Talent Search/Upward Bound.

Upon her selection, Doering approached Suchan with the opportunity to serve as interim dean.

“It was really her decision,” Suchan said. “If she felt confident in that decision, I was willing to step up and take on that responsibility and take advantage of the opportunity I’ve been given.”

Suchan has served as senior associate registrar since 2015. She worked as assistant registrar at the University of Northern Iowa from 2010 to 2015 before her appointment at Iowa State. Suchan said she has been very pleased with her transition.

“Iowa State is an incredibly impressive and very forward-thinking institution,” Suchan said. “I’m so excited for these next couple of months and being able to do this.”

As interim registrar, Suchan’s responsibilities will include serving at division cabinet meetings, where she will act as the voice of the registrar on a variety of university committees, strategic planning and budgeting. She will also retain her role as senior associate registrar.

A search for the next registrar is slated for the fall.

Suchan said that she is uncertain about her interest in a permanent role as registrar, but she is enjoying the opportunity to serve in an interim capacity.

“I’m interested in learning more about the role,” Suchan said. “I’m just taking it day by day and learning about the needs of [Iowa State].”