Jacob Park working on perfecting his game in spring practices

Redshirt sophomore Jacob Park yells at his teammates during a game against the Kansas State Wildcats, Oct. 29 in Jack Trice Stadium. The Cyclones would go on to lose 31-26. Park completed 19 of 35 passed, and threw for two touchdowns and one interception. 

Aaron Marner

There are two types of quarterbacks.

Some, like Peyton Manning, are business-like. They make reads, stay in the pocket as much as possible and try to make the simple play.

Others fling the ball all across the field, scramble out of the pocket and rely on pure athleticism and talent to get the job done.

Jacob Park is definitely among the second type. His backyard style of quarterbacking can have its ups and downs, but one of the positives is confidence.

“You play in high school, Big 12, NFL, it’s all the same,” Park said. “You can only do so many things and you can only put so many people in so many different places.

“Football is football, man. Whether it’s Big 12, it doesn’t matter, it’s all the same.”

Park, who wasn’t on campus at this time last year, is going through spring practices for the first time. He called spring “the time to perfect things.” With Joel Lanning moving to the defensive side of the ball, the quarterback job should be Park’s.

He had about a month to go through practices with the team last fall before he played in his first game. This year, having preparation, Park said he thinks 2017 will be different.

“It’ll be night and day from last season,” Park said.

Quarterbacks coach Jim Hofher said he’s seen a lot of growth from Park this spring.

“I think Jacob, who didn’t have the benefit of spring ball a year ago, didn’t even have the benefit in the beginning of a training camp, is showing so many signs of carryover from the fall,” Hofher said. “And understanding of any new concepts if there are any … he’s been doing a really good job.”

While Park’s quarterbacking style is beneficial in some ways, maturation has been the focus this spring.

“He loves football,” Hofher said. “And he takes great pride in being as good a quarterback as he can be.”

With Park likely taking the role as Iowa State’s QB1, the backup job is open for grabs. Two players — Zeb Noland and Kyle Kempt — have emerged in that race.

Noland, who will be a redshirt freshman in the fall, tore his ACL last year and missed the 2016 season. He said he’s about 80 percent healthy.

“I can do everything but live periods,” Noland said. “I can run, my cutting’s a little iffy but I’m coming along just fine.”

The biggest hurdle for Noland will be regaining confidence in his knee.

“I think it’s just trusting myself to make every cut, make every play that I did before I got hurt,” Noland said.

With varying personalities and a wide range of strengths and weaknesses, discussions and practices can be rather interesting for the quarterbacks.

“Zeb’s the young one, he gets kind of fiery at times,” Park said. “Kyle’s the genius. And then me, you know, I just play.”