Alternative spring breaks

Courtesy of Ryan van der Veen

Greek Students participated in an alternative spring break where they traveled to Indianapolis. They spent six days volunteering for non-profit organizations and touring various greek headquarters.

Rachel Ori

The stereotypical college spring break sometimes includes activities that lead to trouble, however, that doesn’t always have to be the case.

Alternative spring breaks are becoming more popular among college students. An alternative spring break includes spending the week volunteering in different communities across the country, and even the world.

Organizations such as United Planet allow students the opportunity to travel abroad to volunteer in countries like Peru and Nepal. These organizations encourage students to immerse themselves in the cultures of other countries safely while providing aid to others.

The national organization Student Today Leaders Forever (STLF) provides college students the opportunity to travel to six different states in the United States in the span of nine days. During these nine days, students provide a helping hand to those in need in the various communities.

Iowa State has its own chapter of STLF. This year, the group is traveling to Champaign, Illinois; Frankfort, Kentucky; Charleston, West Virginia; Charlotte, North Carolina; Athens, Georgia; and Nashville, Tennessee.

STLF launched out of Minnesota in 2003 and grew to help serve middle school, high school and college students the following year.

According to stlf.net, the organization’s mission is to “reveal leadership through service, relationships and action.”

Maria Daubenberger, sophomore in industrial engineering, and Danielle Miller, sophomore in animal science, are running this year’s STLF trip.

The two participated in last year’s spring break trip, which included helping in soup kitchens, organizing shoes to send overseas to children in need and cleaning up state parks.

“Anything that needs to be done in the community, we help with,” Daubenberger said.

It’s a tradition for STLF to host its largest trip of the year during spring break. It allows for the most individuals to participate, and for the group to make the largest impact on the communities they serve.

Offering an alternative option for students who want to travel and enjoy their break from campus without the pressure of potentially troubling activities is an added motivation for the group to host the event during spring break.

“Making a difference for nine days and being able to better somebody else is the best part,” Daubenberger said regarding the trip.

The passion within the group members and the relationships built through the program allow each individual to devote themselves entirely to the project.

Daubenberger said the bond established between last year’s participants was “strong,” and that the opportunity allows individuals to “dig deep into [their] own personal struggles.”

Miller said the trip “opened [her] eyes” and allowed her to “put in perspective how different lives can be.”

“I saw so many new places that I wouldn’t have been able to experience otherwise,” Miller said. “It’s worth the experience. You get more out of it than you expect.”

Forty-five students attend the spring trip each year. The last day to register for this year’s trip is Friday.

The cost of the trip is $445, which includes travel expenses, housing, two meals a day and two T-shirts. Those interested can register at stlf.net.

Besides the spring break trip, STLF regularly does work in the Des Moines and Ames community. STLF meets every other Thursday at 5:30 p.m.