Student Government to vote on ‘sanctuary campus’ resolution

Members of the student government listen to a speaker during the student government meeting on Jan. 18 in the Memorial Union. 

Danielle Gehr

Student Government will vote Wednesday on a resolution to determine if Iowa State should be declared a “sanctuary campus.” 

At its meeting last week, Sen. Roberto Ortiz introduced the resolution titled Support for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) Students and Students with Lack of Documentation. 

After some debate, Student Government decided to push the vote to the next week to give members a chance to talk to constituents. 

Some members expressed caution that there may be negative repercussions by making this declaration. 

Others feel the university needs to take this step in order for all of its students to feel safe. 

“This is just an extension of protecting the students that we serve,” Ortiz said.

The resolution states that more then 750,000 undocumented immigrants received work under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA). Now under President Donald Trump’s administration, the act will no longer protect these immigrants. 

The resolution would request the university to give equal opportunities to all students regarding admission to the university and to protect its students from deportation.

The program was established in 2012 by then-President Barack Obama.