Editorial: Stand against immigration ban

Alec Giljohann/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State President Steven Leath addresses the student government over concerns regarding his use of a university owned aircraft 

It took Donald Trump only one week in office to shake the entire country. Trying to show his capability of keeping his promises, Trump rushed to the Oval Office, signing more than a dozen executive orders in his first week.

Some of these orders were more of a statement than an actual policy that could affect the public in a significantly short time. But some other orders were very consequential and impactful. Perhaps the most controversial act done by the president was signing the executive order to ban the citizens of Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, Iran, Iraq and Yemen from entering the United States, temporarily.

Some people from those countries were already on their way to the United States when the order was signed. More than 10 people were detained at John F. Kennedy airport on Friday, including an Iraqi interpreter who had worked with the U.S. Army for 10 years in Iraq.

Activists, along with hundreds, if not thousands, of others, took to JFK and Dulles airport on Saturday, protesting the ban. The Trump administration claimed that this was not a ban on Muslims; one of the main proposals that Trump had centered his presidential campaign around. But at least in the eyes of those affected by it, the order is nothing but the first step toward a full-scale ban of Muslims entering the United States.

Aside from the legal and political arguments, this act seriously affects thousands of people in the United States, many of whom are green-card holders. It will stop some from visiting their families back home, or traveling outside the country, and stop others from coming back to the United States, where their lives, families and careers are.

Here at Iowa State, students received an email from the ISSO during the weekend asking them not to leave the United States unless it was for imminently necessary reasons. Many universities across the states took the same step and warned their students. On Monday, President Steven Leath released a statement regarding the ban. Some students criticized the language of the letter.

In his letter, Leath stated that the order is impacting three people connected to the school. He said that the administration has “been in touch with each of these individuals with the hope that they will be able to continue their work and studies with Iowa State in the near future.”

Aside from these three individuals, many more are impacted by Trump’s executive order. The university has taken a step in the right direction by issuing a statement and providing resources through Student Affairs, but we all must continue to stand against the ban and support all of our community members affected by the ban.