How to prepare for midterms

Alexandra Kelly/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State Honors students studying in Jischke, the Honors building on campus, on Dec 6. 

Emily Clement

Here are a few steps you can take to prepare for midterms next week:

Eat healthy foods – According to the WebMD website, you should eat healthy foods that will power your brain. This could be caffeine (kept to a limit), quality carbs such as peanut butter or orange juice and glucose, also to a limit. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated. 

Get plenty of sleep – According to the Huffington Post website, you should limit naps to 30 minutes during the day, and get at least six hours of sleep the night before the exam.

Study, but not too much – Study what you need to in order to do well on your exams, but don’t over do it. Overdoing it can lead to stress and overwhelming yourself, which can ultimately lead to doing worse on your exams.

Make flashcards – If you think you need more structure in your studying routine, make flashcards to work on your memorization of the content. Quizlet and StudyBlue are frequently used websites/apps used to make electronic flashcards.

Stay organized – Keep your study materials together and write everything you need to study down on a note or in your planner. Staying organized is an important part of studying because if you don’t, things may become stressful and overwhelming.

Manage your time – Plan out your study time each day so that you don’t overwhelm yourself. Don’t procrastinate it either. It’s better to schedule it and get it out of the way instead of forgetting about it and leaving it until the last minute when you should be getting the sleep you need to do well on the exam.

Study in a group or on your own – Study with a group of people that you believe will help you accomplish the most and people who are studying the same thing as you. With that being said, study on your own if you think you’ll focus better and accomplish more.

Have confidence – Go into your test with confidence and think positively about the outcome.