Case competition provides strategic learning platform

Emily Hammer

The College of Business will host its inaugural case competitio Friday. The event is sponsored by Target.

The competition is tailored to students working toward their Gerdin Citizenship Certificate and will satisfy an ethics requirement.

In a case competition, students present their solutions for a case study to a panel of judges. Although competition subjects can vary, Friday’s event will center around business ethics.

Target presented a hypothetical challenge to participating students on Monday, and the students will present their work during the competition. 

Target asked participants to propose a strategy for the company to deliver on the “Expect More, Pay Less” brand while simultaneously avoiding gender stereotypes and bias.

Each presentation will be eight minutes with five minutes of questions from judges after the students complete their presentations.

Teams are rated on their strategy, content, analysis of ethic, communication, visuals and professionalism. Various bonus points will be distributed.

The first, second and third place teams will be awarded $1,000, $500 and $250, respectively.

Teams will be recognized during the luncheon on Friday at noon after the competition concludes. Judges will also provide feedback to teams to aid in future competitions.