Troubles in Freddy Court

Tyler Worsham

The community of Frederiksen Court is one that is both large and diverse, and with that size comes an array of issues of concern from those who live there.

Students have a wide range of opinions about where they live and the residents of Freddy Court were no exception.

Opinions varied but a few were consistently repeated.

Caitlyn Greenspan, senior in athletic training, described how she felt that it seems especially difficult for some to find good housing, which she feels is largely due to Iowa State’s “over-acceptance.”

“I know it might be a problem, but I guess the best thing Freddy could do is if there was a way we can do more apartments up here, maybe we can eliminate some of that burden from apartment style living,” Greenspan said.

She worries that new facilities are going up so quickly, they might not be as structurally sounds as possible.

Others made similar comments about how the community could possibly expand to meet the growing demand.

Nolan Brown, junior in music, wondered how and where the community could possibly grow, considering that although it might prove difficult, perhaps the court areas might be the only ideal place to expand.

“I’m not sure how much you could really add into the court area since its already pretty well utilized,” Brown said. “So I would suggest that we would have to maybe look at other places to start contracting and building more housing.” 

Colin Samuelson, sophomore in pre-business, expressed problems he has with certain preferential treatment practices in housing placement.

“I know they put football players here in Freddy Court,” he said. “You know, you’re not really supposed to live in Freddy Court unless you have no other option as a freshman, and they just put all the freshman here.”

While most people said that Freddy Court was a very nice community to live in, it isn’t always the case.

Zachery Budde, junior in mechanical engineering, felt that not everyone properly attends to their trash and that better care should be taken to keep the community clean, particularly on the weekends after parties.

“People have their parties and there might be garbage all over, beer cans and stuff like that,” Budde said. “They leave their recycling stuff out. Then when you get to the main garbage areas, people don’t want to walk that far so they just dump it and drop it on the ground.”

However, Budde went on to say that some of the other concerns that were raised were not quite as drastic as some might think.

In contrast to opinions that the community needs to grow, Budde offered facts and insight about the issue that he felt were not being considered.

“They did just build those new residence halls and apartment buildings right off Lincoln, so that might help,” said Budde, later stating that he thinks most people really care about location.

“I honestly think Freddy is as big as it needs to be. If we add any more, we’ll only create more problems,” Brown said. “We’ll need to run more buses, take care of more garbage and cost ISU even more money.” 

Others expressed their difficulty with parking, how there never seemed to be an available parking spot.

“Parking kinda sucks here sometimes,” said Byron Bunch, sophomore in mechanical engineering.

However, having only moved into Frederiksen Court last fall after living elsewhere on campus, Samuelson expressed a more optimistic point of view.

“My friends who had cars, they had to go down to Jack Trice which was so far away from where we used to live,” Samuelson said. “But here in Freddy Court I feel there is always some place to park.”

Despite the critiques, most felt that Frederiksen Court is still a quality place to live, claiming great appreciation for the community, the personal space and its convenient location near campus.

Greenspan elaborated on why, in spite of the occasional problem or nuisance, Frederiksen Court was still a great place for her to live.

“I like being able to have my own apartment, my own room,” Greenspan said. “I get along with my roommates and my floor really well so we still have that feel of a community while still having our own privacy.”