Valentine’s Day: Love yourself

Amanda Johnson, sophomore in interior design.

By Tori Holthaus [email protected]

Tori Holthaus

Valentine’s Day is typically known to belong to the couples. Their love for each other is celebrated on this special day, but there’s another love to celebrate. Take advantage of the holiday and love yourself.

Whether you’re single or unable to be with your significant other, it’s time to show yourself some love. Put down the worries about others and the long list of to-do items and invest time in yourself.

If you’re not sure where to start, try out some basic couples activities with a twist: do them alone. Go out to your favorite restaurant and order anything you want. If this seems a bit lonesome, try it out with your favorite book. If you’re worried about eyes being on you, try going to a movie. Whether it’s a romantic comedy featuring your celebrity crush or a classic that’s sure to make to you cry, it’s up to you.

Gifts are a major part of Valentine’s Day, so give a gift to yourself. Try out a tip from Amanda Johnson, sophomore in interior design, who bought herself a valentine.

“It’s a cheesy gesture but it’s just a little something to cheer me up,” Johnson said. “I bought it ahead of time and I’ll pick it up on Valentine’s Day, so it’s a surprise even though I know it’s pretzels and a flowers.

“It’s also a little reminder that all this stuff I want a boyfriend to buy me, I can also just go buy myself. You can get really caught up on seeing all these Instagram or Facebook posts about what other girls got, so it’s nice to have something to look at.”

You can also take this one step further and try passing out valentines. Chances are you aren’t the only one celebrating the holiday on your own, so bring a smile to someone else’s face.

It’s a great throwback to elementary school that requires little effort. These can be handmade or bought from the store, sporting whatever theme you want. It’s a great way to make others smile and in return make you feel great.

For those who don’t want a valentine, shopping in general can be a great way to treat yourself. Buying an item that makes you feel great can help bring out your inner confidence. That’s exactly how Lyndsay Nelson, freshman in pre-business, will be spending her day.

“I believe in the motto, ‘look good, feel good,’ so I’m applying it to Valentine’s Day,” Nelson said. “I figure the splurge is worth it if it’s on myself. Walking around in a cute top or fresh perfume always puts a little smile on my face.”

Buying yourself a spa day can be a great way to pamper yourself as well. A relaxing massage or well-deserved manicure and pedicure can help you feel refreshed and revitalized. If you don’t want to spend the money, there are tons of at-home face masks or body scrubs you can try while binge watching your favorite TV show.

Showing yourself love can also mean spending time with the ones you love. Take a break from the stressors of life and visit your family and friends. Lily Gray, sophomore in journalism, will be doing just that in her hometown with a sweet Valentine’s Day party.

“Every year my mom decorates the entire kitchen with red, pink and white streamers,” Gray said. “Everyone must wear pink or red to the party, and we celebrate with gifts and multiple kinds of fondue. I consider this as a way to treat myself because I get to spend the weekend with my best friends, my mom and two dogs, Sugar and Georgi.”

For those who are truly anti-Valentine’s Day, consider spending that time plotting out where to buy discounted chocolate on Wednesday. Stores typically put those leftover sweets on sale, so a couple’s loss is your gain. From delicious assorted truffles to cute candy hearts, there is sure to be something to fill your sweet tooth and stomach. More chocolate all to yourself, what a sweet deal.

Also, one of the easiest and greatest ways to show yourself some self love this Valentine’s Day is to tell yourself, “I love you.” With all the stress people tend to put themselves through, it’s easy to be hard and critical of oneself. This may seem a little crazy, but sometimes it’s the best thing one can hear, even coming from yourself.